Beyond The Murder Of Emilia Johnson: Chapter Two

Chapter two.

I'm walking, trying to find a spot alone to think. The business of the real world is still pounding in my head, and I need to get away. The homework has been piled on endlessly, and I've barley had a single hour to myself. As I walk, not exactly aware of where I'm going, I come across a beautiful oasis, alive with colorful trees and pink lilypads in sparkling blue water. Ahh, finally. A place to call my own. This is my spot, now. I walk along the rickety dock and sit on the edge, dangling my feet over the water. The lake is filled with fish, and everytime they move the water goes swish. I shut my eyes to the sound and let my body loosen.

"Afternoon." I hear a familiar voice, and my mouth gapes open. Ryan?! I look behind me to see him kneeling down behind me with a grin. "I said, afternoon. Aren't you going to reply?" He messes with me. I scowl at him.

"Hi."

"You just ran out the other day on Liah and I, now, that's kind of rude don't you think?" Ryan teases me immaturely.

"Whatever...." I grumble in repsonse. Ryan sighs and hoists himself down onto the ledge of the dock to sit next to me.

"What do you want, Ryan?" I groan in annoyance. How did he even find me here?

"Just wanted to say hey."

"Ugh..." I turn away from him and stare into the pond. So much for solitude.

"I don't think you should be so rude, considering I saved your life. That's right, I said it. It's me, from the alleyway, you remember."

I sigh, "I'm not trying to be rude. I'm just grumpy that I can't have a single moment alone."

"Well, I'm sorry, but I had to tell you, even though you already knew." Ryan hesitates, as if he were looking for something to say. "You were just another girl in the town, and I happened to notice someone following you and being a creep." His eyes are lying.

"Really?" I question sarcasticly.

"Yes, what else would be the reason?" Ryan looks at me and frowns.

"You tell me."

"There is no other reason, Evalin. I don't know why your so suspicious." Ryan's shoulders shift uncomfortabley.

"Alright, well, sorry." I study him for a minute."Hey, why is your skin golden?"

"Um, it's not."

"Yeah it is, you and Liah and Matt. It's beautiful."

"Uh, thanks? I'm guessing that was a compliment."

"You didn't answer the question."

"Genetic." He replies.

"And what about Matt? You guys aren't related."

"Yes, I guess it is then." Ryan snaps. I snort, followed by a sarcastic giggle. "Listen, Liah also wanted me to ask you if you guys wanted to hang out sometime. She was swamped with homework back at home, so I offered to ask you for her."

"Well, yeah, I'd like to. If we ever have time." I roll my eyes. School was putting us all under alot of pressure.

"I'll tell her. And by the way, the Spring Dance is coming up tomorrow night. Just to let the new girl know." Ryan stands up.

"Tomorrow night?! Is it formal?" I didn't know our school had dances, but I was excited.

"Semi formal." Ryan grins with his sharp teeth before he walks off the dock. I lie my back down on the dock and gaze into the pond. Silence and swishing, my perfect place. So it really was Ryan in the alleyway. I hadn't asked him who that person was, or what had happened after I blacked out. But I can guess that somehow he figured out where I lived, snuck into my house and put me there. I suppose I really should have been nicer, considering the fact that he actually cared enough to make sure I was okay. I wonder why he did, he didn't even know me. I shut my eyes and thought about the Spring dance. I wonder who I would go with. Just Liah. No one at the school had even checked me out in the past days I've been there. It'll be fun to go with her, having a guy take you is always more intimidating. You don't know if you look good, or if your face is all sweaty or your hairs a mess, and your always worrying if your deoderant is wearing off the heat of the room. Emilia had been to a dance with a boy once, and that's how I felt. Even though the boy was ugly, with braces and short cropped hair. The only reason I accepted was because I was glad to have finally been noticed by anyone. But now it's different. Liah accepted me right away, which is odd. I've never met someone so friendly. I allow myself to fall asleep, clearing my thoughts while I was at it.