Chapter 24: Vehemence

Waking up at Matt's was a little different since I was now staying here for a while. I had to get use to his house and everything, and I knew it would take some time.

I got up and took a shower and got dressed for school. It felt weird but I'll soon get use to it. I made my way downstairs and into the kitchen to see Matt sitting at the table and his mom at the stove cooking something. It smelled delicious. I sat down at the table with Matt and he smiled at me, "Good morning, beautiful,"

I smiled at him, "Morning," I looked over at his mom as she was making something. "That smells so good," I watched as she turned around and smiled as she brought a plate to the table and laid it down.

"Well, thank you dear," she smiled as she walked back to the stove.

I looked at the plate on the table and saw that it was pancakes. But not just any ordinary pancakes, they were shaped like smiley faces.

I looked over at Matt as he was making a plate and I watched him until he caught me staring, "What?"

I looked back at the plate on the table, "Why are they all shaped like smiley faces?" I looked back at him as he smiled.

"My mom makes me these every once in a while," aw, that was adorable.

"Mommy's little boy," I said in a baby voice. He glared at me as I chuckled. "No, but seriously, that's sweet,"

He rolled his eyes, "Yeah, just don't tell anyone," he threatened.

I stared at him, "I don't have anyone to tell," did he forget that he's my only friend? I have no one to tell anything to except for him.

I made me a plate and we ate in silence until his mom spoke, "Do you want me to drive y'all to school?" she wiped her hands on a towel as she was watching us.

I looked over at Matt as he was finishing eating, "No mom, I can drive," I could tell he was getting irritated with he mothering him.

If only he knew that I would love to be in his shoes right now.

We finished eating and grabbed our backpacks. His mom told us bye as she was watching us from the front door. I thought it was cute how she would show him motherly love.

When we got in the car, I looked over at him, "She's really sweet,"

He started the engine and started backing up, "Yeah, a total pain in the ass too," he put the car in drive and sped down the road.

I sat there staring out the window until Matt spoke, "Sammy," I looked over at him as he was glancing at me, "I'm sorry, I forgot. I didn't mean to-"

I cut him off, "No, it's ok. It's just that some kids don't know how lucky they have it," I looked back out the window.

It was the truth. Nobody knows what the have until it's gone. I was too young to take advantage of my mom, but I would die to have her here with me right now. She could make everything better and make all my problems disappear. I miss her more everyday and it kills me to see everybody who has a mom and doesn't give a shit how lucky they really are.

We pulled up at school and we both got out and headed inside. I was trying to get in a good mood today, but my mood got sucked right out of me. I hate thinking about my mom because everytime I do, it kills my mood.

We stopped at my locker and I threw my backpack in. Matt looked at me and I half smiled. I didn't want to talk right now and I hated feeling this way. I wanted Matt to know that it wasn't his fault at all.

I looked around at everyone that was standing around in the hallway and I thought how amazing their life is and they have no idea. They have a family to go home to after school, they have a loving, supporting family. Maybe I don't know what happens behind closed doors, and maybe I'm wrong, but most of the teenagers here have loving homes.