Chapter 17: Erroneous Feelings

By the next morning, Mrs. Shuler took me to my house to get my clothes. She didn't ask anymore about why I wanted to stay with her. She still thinks that I'm afraid of staying by myself, which was partially true.

Jessica was still not there. I didn't know where she was, but no doubt that she's hiding somewhere. I don't understand why she has to be so stupid and cause all this shit to happen when she knows that she won't get out of it.

Instead the guys are looking for me now, and Mrs. Shuler. I can't let that happen. They can mess with me all they want to, but they're not touching Mrs. Shuler.

We didn't really talk last night at her house. We didn't do much of anything and I'm not sure why. She's been acting weird ever since yesterday afternoon.

I still have a feeling that she's hiding her feelings from me. I mean, what else reason would it be for her to act weird around me now? She's been totally fine before I kissed her, and now she can't do anything around me without acting nervous.

I tried talking to her, but she keeps shutting me out. It's like she doesn't want to talk to me about it, but she doesn't know that I already know.

I'm smarter than she thinks.

We pulled up at the school a little later than yesterday. We had about twenty minutes until the bell rung, and I blame myself for making her late. I was slacking around because she was irritating me.

She wouldn't talk to me at all last night and she sure as hell didn't speak this morning, hardly. I don't know what's going on but it's getting on my nerves how she won't talk to me or even look me in the eyes like she's always been doing.

We got out and Mrs. Shuler left in a hurry. I watched as she was walking fast into the school. I sighed and slung my backpack over my shoulder and thought how bad it was that I made her late. She wasn't going to be in a good mood today now.

I walked inside to find Matt. He's always here early because he likes school and it's weird because I don't know a single person that actually likes school.

Besides me.

It's weird to think that an eighteen year old actually likes school, but with my life, school is a vacation to me. I would love to stay longer at school if that was even possible. Going home is hell and being at school is like a small vacation for eight hours a day.

I hate the weekends.

School is where I can actually breathe and not have to worry about anything, besides my grades. But being here means that I am away from Jessica.

I found Matt at his locker, like always. He was sitting on the ground against it, reading something. I walked over to him and sat down next to him. I looked at the book that he was reading, he then looked over at me and smiled.

"Morning Beautiful," he smiled as I smiled. He always makes my mornings better and I love him for it.

"What are you reading?" I looked over at the book in his hands and he smiled at me.

"Just reading. Nothing really important," I looked down at the book and read the front cover.

"The city of bones? What's that about?" I watched as he flipped through a few pages and smiled down at it.

"Mortals," he smiled. "It's hard to explain it. I'll lend you the book if you're interested," he held the book up and I looked at it.

I hardly have time to sit and read, so I declined the offer and he nodded. He didn't ask why, but I'm glad he didn't.

We were sitting there for a while and I heard the bell ring. I sighed as we both got up. I didn't want to go to class but I knew that I had to. I couldn't exactly skip and it was rough.