Chapter 8: Accidents Happen

The next few days were fairly good. Mrs. Shuler came to pick me up in the mornings, then took me home after school. It was a little weird at first, but I got used to it.

As for Jessica, she's still a little skeptical of Mrs. Shuler bringing me home. I have to keep telling her that nobody knows about anything and she shouldn't worry. I even told her that I wouldn't want them to find out neither.

It's hard keeping a such a big lie because I know that one wrong slip up, everything will just be ruined and I can't have that happen. I just need for Jessica to understand that and maybe she'll stop abusing me.

But she won't. Not when she has drugs in her system, she'll always be abusive and there's nothing I can say or do to stop her from consuming it. I tried and it always ended up bad because she would just beat me.

I'm just glad that she didn't leave any marks when she choked me, because that would be a little hard to cover up.

I heard a car horn and I knew it was Mrs. Shuler waiting for me. I threw my backpack on and raced down the stairs. I walked out of the house then locked it and made my way to her car. It was a pretty day today and I was glad because I was sick and tired of all of this nasty weather.

I buckled up once I got inside her car and watched as she backed out of the driveway. I looked out the window as we were driving down the road and I looked at all the houses go by.

"Why aren't your parents ever home?" I looked over at Mrs. Shuler as she was focused on the road but she kept looking over at me.

"They leave for work," she nodded and looked back at the road. I looked out the window as we were pulling up at the school and I noticed that Matt was waiting by his car. Ever since he found out that Mrs. Shuler was bringing me to school everyday, he waits by his car in the mornings.

Once we parked, Mrs. Shuler looked over at me, "I need you to help me carry some boxes to my classroom," I nodded as I got out and she opened her trunk. Matt came over and offered to help as Mrs. Shuler was giving me some boxes to carry. She shut her trunk and we all walked into the school.

Matt and I were behind Mrs. Shuler and Matt got my attention and was nodding towards Mrs. Shuler. I rolled my eyes as he chuckled a little. I ignored him and watched as her hips swayed back and forth. I was completely mesmerized.

She unlocked her classroom door and we walked inside. She told us to put the boxes in the back. Matt smiled at me and I wish I could punch him in the face.

We made our way back to the from of the classroom and Mrs. Shuler smiled at us, "Thank you so much for helping me," Matt smiled like an idiot.

"You're welcome, Mrs. Shuler," he looked at me and I was wondering what he was up to. He looked down at his wrist, "Oh no, I'm late for a thing," he smiled at us, "Gotta jet," he waved goodbye and ran out the door. That sneaky little boy.

"Well, he was sure in a hurry," Mrs. Shuler chuckled as she sat down at her desk. I noticed a box on her desk, the same one she brought in, and I was curious to know what was inside it.

I looked at Mrs. Shuler, "Do you mind if I look through your box?" she looked at the box then at me and smiled then nodded. I smiled then opened the box to reveal a lot of paint brushes and other art stuff. I kept looking in hopes that I would find something interesting and I saw a CD case. I picked it up and saw that it was one from a few good years ago, meaning that I was not even born yet.

I looked on the back of it and saw a lot of different songs that I never heard of. I looked at Mrs. Shuler, who was looking through some papers.

"What's this for?" I held the CD case up as she looked at me.