Chapter 18: Enigma

^ Picture of Sam

Mrs. Shuler didn't come by and get me the next day, which I'm sort of glad because I told her that we shouldn't have anymore contact outside of school. I thought I made the righ decision.

But the pain in my heart begs to differ.

I decided to walk to school and stick to it. I didn't need anyone driving me to or from school because I could easily walk without any problems. It was only two miles away so what's the point in wasting gas for someone.

Jessica wasn't gone this morning, and it shocked me. She was sleeping on the couch and I made sure not to make any noises to wake her up. I didn't want to have to deal with her before school anyways. It's bad enough I have to deal with her after.

The sun was shining and it felt pretty good outside. It was close to spring, so it was getting warmer and I was glad. I hate the cold and it never seems like it wants to get any warmer around here.

I was only a few more months closer to graduating and I was so ready for it. I still had to figure out what I was planning on doing because I wasn't going to stay around here any longer, that's for sure. Plus, Jessica made me promise to get the hell out as soon as I graduated, so I needed to figure something out and fast.

As I walked into school, I seen everyone in the hallways, smiling and laughing with other people. I ignored them like I do everyday, and made my way to my locker to throw my backpack in. As I turned around, I seen Matt and I instantly smiled. He made his way to me and smiled.

"Good morning, how are you doing?" he smiled at me as I smiled back then nodded.

"I'm good," I watched as he nodded then he looked me over.

"How was your afternoon spent with Mrs. Shuler? Or should I say, Miss Shuler now," he smiled and wiggled his eyebrows.

Miss Shuler? She's officially divorced now?

"She's already divorced?" I stared at him as he nodded.

"Yeah, everyone has been talking about it around school this morning. I guess they all found out by the principal," he held onto his backpack straps as he looked around then back at me. He smiled, "Now it's definitely time to jump that boat before it sets sail," I rolled my eyes as he smiled at me. "I'm serious Sammy, she's young and so damn good looking, any of these male teachers are going to be on that sooner than you think," he made a face and I chuckled a little.

I couldn't tell him about what she said yesterday. I don't think she even wanted anyone to know. Of course she didn't, it'll be ridiculous.

I ignored the thought and just talked to him for a few more minutes until the bell rung. We said our goodbyes and went our seperate ways.

I wish this day would hurry up and end, but then again, I don't.

*

I finally got my grades up and I'm proud. It took some time and whole lot of patience because I had a lot to catch up on, but I finally did it. I guess since Jessica hasn't really been abusing me lately, I could actually do some stuff. I mostly stayed in the library and studied at lunch, and Matt understood completely.

Lunch came around and Matt bought me lunch again. I didn't have to ask and he didn't ask neither. He just bought it and surprised me. I swear he's the best.

I couldn't ask for a better friend, because he's been the only friend that I grew close to. He's the one who hasn't left yet because of my life, even though he only knows half, but he's stuck around and I'm more than thankful.