Lesson of truth and silence

Three months after the incident with Baivos something changed. I was doing chores like every day(I stopped doing things that would earn me unnecessary punishment, but I never stopped standing up for myself). I was mopping the main hall, minding my own business when it happened. The notorious king descended from the main stairs, walking right towards me. It was only me and him and I didn't notice his presence till I looked up. The moment I saw him, I froze to a statue, glued to my spot, I clenched the mop in my hands and my eyes widened in shock. I was supposed to throw myself to the ground in respect but I couldn't even take my eyes of him. He took all my attention, but the strangest thing happened after that. Our eyes met for split second, one heartbeat, which seemed to have broken a few ribs from the impact. And then... he passed me by, he just walked past. He didn't comment on my disrespect or acknowledge it in any way, he just walked past me, with no trace of emotion.

I thought it the last time we met, but that man is the strangest one I've ever met. He had the presence of a god, looked like one and acted like one but he sure didn't exercise his power much. Or maybe he just didn't want to waste his time on me, maybe he was in a hurry, or I just wasn't worth to pay attention to? Well at least I was alive and well, I will be honest the man scares me to death, even to supernaturals he's intimidating.

But that was the second time I had seen the king and I was still alive, must be a good sign, is what I thought.

I walked back to the storehouse, to put back the cleaning supplies. The storehouse was only a few feet away from the slaves dorm, not a far walking distance or any torture to get there.

"Guess what?" I looked back towards the door as I was putting the stuff back. Agie, a fellow human slave, we didn't talk much in the start, not even acknowledging each other, but after an incident where I was standing up for her, we got closer. Only I stood up for her because I knew she hadn't done anything wrong as I saw the real culprit who snuck food out.

"What?" I asked tiredly, Agie was nice but too much of a gossiper.

"I heard this rumor from the servants, that the king want the rearrange things around here. Not sure what they mean by it, but there will be something huge happening soon. I can just feel it."

"Mhm.." I mumbled as I looked over the list of chores, I had only preparing the diner hall left and then I'm done for the day.

"Isn't it exciting, I wonder what it will be. Nayo, don't you think it's exciting?"

"Sure."

"Come on, don't lie to me. Nayo is like an open book." Agie pouted and poked my cheek. How dare she poke me?

"I don't see how it's exciting, it's not like it'll affect us in any way. We'll still be slaves, they won't just change that fact now on a whim."

"But since we are slaves, it's things like these that make the days bearable, it'll feel so meaningless otherwise."

"Maybe, but I don't want to get excited just to get disappointed later." With that I ended the topic and Agie continued to whine.

"What are you two doing? You have no time to laze around, hurry up or there will be punishment." The old lady barked at the doorway. The head maid, Setinarth, is a shifter, shifters are low class supernaturals and are usually found as servants, but at least they have rights compared to us humans.

"Yes ma'am." Agie and I said in unison with a slight difference in voice, with me more sarcastic than Agie. Setinarth gave me one of her famous glares before heading out. I smirked and headed out after her.

"But what do you think it can be?" Agie asked, following me out. I sighed in defeat.

"You're still at it?"