~ TWENTY TWO ~

He's so warm, so comforting. I could lie here for hours with him...just trying to clear my head and be the friend he wants me to be...

But...

I sigh, sitting up. Jack looks over at me, his eyes still full of shame. "W-What are you doing?"

He sat up next to me, sitting close. As though if he moved away I'd disappear. "I've got work today, Jack." His looked down, a little sad I guess. I grabbed his hand, my heart still aching. "But you're going with me. There's no way I'm letting you stay here by yourself." He was looking down at our hands, and I looked away. I couldn't bear any more rejection.

I guess he understood that, because he didn't let go. I stood up, walking with him down the hall. We passed my door, and he looked up at me when we stopped in front of his. "Why are we here?"

"Get your clothes," I said tiredly. "You're changing in my room." He blushed, but when I let go of his hand he went inside and came out a few seconds later with some. I led him to my room, closing the door behind us. I turned to him, seeing his face still tinted red. "I won't look," I mumbled, walking over to my dresser to get my swim trunks. "Just hurry up."

It took us about fifteen minutes or so to get ready, and then I led us out the door, me practically hovering over him. I was terrified of letting him out of my sight. The ride in the car was silent, and I was perfectly fine with that.

"There he is!" Anthony ran over to us as I walked with Jack up the beach, a frown on my face. I stopped in front of Anthony, who flashed his usual cocky grin. "Hey Mark, happy to see you again."

"Morning Anthony."

He looked over my shoulder, his lips puckering when he saw Jack, practically hiding behind me shyly. "Who's this?"

I stepped over, wrapping an arm around Jack comfortingly. "This, right here, is the famous Jack." Jack chuckled nervously, waving.

Anthony instantly beamed. "Hello! Mark's talked a lot about you," I looked down a bit, and felt Jack's shoulders slump. "It's awesome to meet you, nice to see a new face. This crowd bores me sometimes. Well, I guess you can hangout with Mark at his post." He looked up at me, "Don't get too distracted, okay?" I nodded, giving him a week smile before grabbing Jack's hand and leading him down the beach.

"I-"

"I know you're sorry," I sighed, frustrated. "Remember when we first met? Didn't I tell you to stop saying sorry all the time?"Jack didn't respond, and I clenched my jaw. I dropped his hand, turning to look at him. He was staring downwards, his face tinted red. "You don't get to feel ashamed." I clenched my fists. "Stop it, stop making me feel bad. That is not how this is supposed to work." I grabbed his hand again, pulling him the rest of the way. We stopped right in front of the large wooden chair, painted white with red streaks. I began to climb the ladder, stopping midway. I looked down, seeing Jack was staring up at me. I waved him over. "Come on, we don't have all day, Jack."

His eyes widened a bit. "Where am I supposed to sit?"

"We'll cross that bridge when we get to it. Get your skinny Irish butt up here."

A/N: Sorry I couldn't get in an update, we've begun the testing and I've been studying my ass off.