Chapter Fourteen

October 11 2016 - Tuesday

~

Trent

(Song: Butterfly Effect by VIXX)

The one thing that I had learned through my previous experiences was that girls loved receiving gifts, especially flowers or jewelry. Which was why I bought Leah red roses and a necklace. The necklace had a silver pendent of a hawk. And I also bought a similar one for myself, but mine had a gold pendent of a falcon.

I tried to rush to the library right when the bell rang so that I could get there before her. I stood in front of the table with the gifts behind my back. My nerves racked up more and more as time passed. But once I saw her walking down the aisle, a warm wave washed over me. She was like a bride gracing me with her radiant glow. She stopped in front of me and smiled.

"Hi. What are you- what are you doing?" She asked looking at my arms and trying to see behind my back.

"I came bearing gifts," I said putting on my best smile. I pulled the gifts out from behind my back and held them out to her. Leah's eyes went wide as she caught sight of them and that made my smile stretch further.

"Trent. You really shouldn't have done this," She said staring at the flowers.

"I wanted to." I placed the flowers on the table and held out the necklace box in my palms.

"What is this?"

"Open it." She looked up at me with suspicious eyes, but I pushed the box closer to her. She gingerly opened the box, while it rested in my hands. She took out the necklace, with the tips of her fingers, and held it in front of her.

". . .Thanks."

"It's a hawk. It's similar to mine, but mine is a falcon," I said grabbing and showing her the pendent on the necklace that I was wearing.

"I told you that you didn't have to pay me back for helping you with your homework."

"This isn't like that. I just wanted to give you gifts." She looked down at the pendent as if she was examining it like one of her books or a homework sheet.

". . .Thanks."

"Can I help you put it on?" I asked eagerly.

"No, I can do it myself." She put the necklace around her neck and easily latched it closed. The pendant rested on her chest like it was home. It looked better around her neck than it ever could in a box or on anyone else. It was like it belonged on her. But I had wanted to be the one to put it on her. Like in the movies. Standing behind her and moving her hair out of the way.

I sat across from her while she studied. I had my homework out, and I was all set to work on it, but I couldn't. I couldn't waste my eyes on my homework while she was only inches in front of me. Inches! I could reach out and touch her if I wanted to. I mean, I wanted to. But I didn't want to be the other guy. I wanted to be the only guy.

When it was time for Leah to leave for tumbling practice, she thanked me again for the gifts and took them with her. She had that same Leah smile on her face that she always had. I couldn't completely tell, but I felt like I had achieved something. Me and her were on a level of familiarity. I was making ground. She was starting to accept me. I was becoming a part of her life. I could already see us together, and I knew it would be beautiful.

(Song: Can't Help Myself by Eric Nam)