Chapter twelve

I didn't know where I stood with Alex anymore. Things were weird, and by weird I meant normal. After we finally broke apart in the bathroom and I left, the rest of the day just continued like it normally would. No mention of the phone call, no mention of the kiss, and no mention of even Sam.

This morning when I woke up things were still exactly the same. I didn't know what I was expecting all of a sudden. Alex to try to be romantic? Maybe to go back to fighting? An alternate universe?

None of these things happened. It was just back to Alex being his good natured self and me watching him with suspicious eyes waiting for a change.

It was right before midday when Alex walked in dressed in his suit. I was suprised to see him dressed in the maroon and gray as he hadn't left in almost a week.

"Okay I'm headed out. Lunch is made in the fridge like always and I'll be back before dinner." He wandered around the living room where I was sitting in a chair. He straightened things up a bit before announcing that he was actually leaving now, then walked over towards me and kissed me smoothly on the forehead before heading towards the door.

There it was. What I had been looking for since yesterday. The alternate universe. The shift in our relationship. It was subtle though, a little more than friendly, but not quite romantic. It left me with room. Room to set boundaries, to define whatever this was. Too bad I didn't know what I wanted it to be.

I stood up following him to the door and leaned against the wall as I watched him unlock the door.

"Be careful." I said softly.

He turned to look at me his mask hanging around his neck.

"I always am." Then he dissapeared out the door from my sight.

I stood staring at the door for a while as I was lost in thought. It reminded me of the first time I wished Sam off. It was only a few days after our freshman year, and school had been let out for summer.

All school year long Sam had been working out and practicing relentlessly, his goal was to start fighting crime in the summer. It was finally summer and he was ready, full of energy, wanting to save the world, but I wasn't.

"Sam please do you have to go?" I begged him. We were standing in front of his door. More like I was pressed up against it, the doorknob driving into my back blocking his way out, and he was patiently waiting for me to move his arms loose by his sides.

"Addy it's been a year since I recieved my powers. What's the point of having them if I don't use them to help others?" He said slowly like he was explaining to a kid.

"I know. " I whined acting like a child, "But you need to take care of yourself first. How am I supposed to just sit here not knowing what's happening to you?" He let out a half way laugh.

"Well there's always the news. I bet I'll make it on there tonight. It's not everyday there's a new super."

"The news isn't good enough Sam. You know that. I'll be worried sick about you."

"Addy." He said grabbing my shoulders and his dark eyes softened. He pulled me into his arms and held me close to his chest. "Addy, Addy, Addy." He repeated my name soothingly into my ear. "You've had all school year to prepare for this."

"I just didn't think it would come so soon." I sniffled into his shoulder.

"I promise it will all be okay."

"You'll be safe? You'll be careful?"

"Of course." He said, "How could I not when I know you'll be here waiting for me."