"He is literally thrice my daughter's age," he spat. "Why would I spoil my daughter's life?"

"He has the potential to become the general, General Warddis, after your time," she said. "Your ancestors have been the general for many generations. And it will continue so to be."

He gave a blank stare. What was this woman thinking about herself?

"Your daughter will be known as a general's daughter and another general's wife," she stated.

He looked down at Marina to see her giving the woman a disgusted look. "What do you say, Marina?"

"I would say," she said, her tone cool, confident and demanding. "I would rather be known as General Marina Warddis. Her son can work under me." She then tossed her braid back.

He gave his daughter a proud smile. "There, Lady Shaiya. You have your answer."

"You will regret it," she snarled at Mairna.

Marina smiled calmly at her. "Perhaps. But I would rather not marry than marry your son. After all, a man is not required in a woman's life. She can do fine without one."

Flushed with anger, Lady Shaiya pushed past them and went to her friends.

"Did I say anything wrong, papa?" she asked.

His smile got wider. "Not at all. That was amazing!"

She smiled at him.

But he knew who influenced her. That name itself brought the anger he tried to quell by drinking wine.

"You are spending a lot of time with Mika," he said, as they walked through the hallway to reach Marina's quarters.

"She is splendid, amazing, and lively and never ceases to make me laugh," Marina smiled. "I like her a lot."

His brows rose. His daughter never took a liking to someone that easily. As much as he did not like her being meticulous, she knew whom to trust. It was an inherited ability. His mother had it.

"What did she do to gain your favour?" he asked, keeping his pace fast.

Without a stain visible on her face, she kept par with him. "Nothing. She did nothing to gain my favour. That what made me like her more. She did not try. Her actions said, 'this is me; even if you don't like me for who I am, I am still going to be like this.'"

He chuckled softly. Of course, he knew that much about her. That was what inspired his daughter?

"Papa, where is Dame Pheliny?" she asked as they reached her room's floor.

"She is your aunt," he sighed. "She will hate it if you call her with her title. And as for your question, she is down south. Some matters took her attention."

She nodded. Within two minutes, they reached her room. He felt air rush behind him. By his previous experience, he knew who it was. But he was glad Marina did not notice that.

Marina opened the door and went inside.

"I will come after one hour, Marina," he said, as she went near the fireplace to warm herself. "You better be in your bed. I don't want you poking your nose into another book."

She smiled and nodded. She proceeded to remove her gloves and placed it on her nightstand with precaution.

Before he left, she did something peculiar. From the folds of her skirt, she took a dagger and tossed it next to her gloves.

"What in the Spirit's name was that?" he asked his eyes wide.

"A dagger," she answered simply, not bothered by his reaction.