Ch-35. Payne

I might change my updating schedule from Sunday to Saturday. Apart from that, I have something to say, which you will find at the end of the chapter.

Left

***********

***********

Violet and brown eyes collided with each other. The wine was playing with mind and he allowed it to. Around him, the celebrations were going in a full swing, yet he was not exactly there.

The ballroom was filled with Lords and Ladies of different states and their ever-increasing chatter was grating his nerves. His vision was spinning. How many glasses did he have?

The laughter of his Commanders made him concentrate on the party again. Commander Rysen, though he stated he wanted to go back to his country, was enjoying immensely.

The hall was huge and the staircase at the northern end of the room split into two on either side after thirty steps. The chandeliers were lit with fire and the glass at the corners of the room reflected the moonlight with precision. The jewels the women wore shone with brilliance.

"Papa," a small yet strong voice called. "Can I go to sleep? Mika said me to sleep before the second fourth hour of the moon. Can I?"

Her crystal violet eyes reminded him of Adysea's so much. So much that he felt she was watching him and not his daughter. Marina's blond hair was pinned into a proper braid and her cheeks were flushed from the party. She wore the gloves.

He hated that the magic chose her. Why could it not leave her alone?

"Is it time already?" he asked, his voice worryingly hoarse. "I did not notice."

"Many people called, but you never responded, they left you be," she said, sitting next to him, her posture somewhat a mix of a warrior and a noble lady. How his daughter pulled off, he would never know.

He covered his face with his right hand and massaged his forehead. He had no recollection of what happened in the past hour.

He groaned. "It must have been very rude of me."

"King Kinsey Cathale said that you were not feeling well," she supplied. "Some Lords and Ladies already left."

"It was rude of me," he said. "Why would they leave? Only at occasions like this, they find suitable bride and grooms for their children. Why would they?"

"How would I know papa?" she asked, taking the wine glass from his left hand and placed it on the table in front of them.

He gave his daughter a pleading look.

"No," she said, sternly. "You have been drinking too much, papa."

He sighed. She was right.

"I think it will be better if we just retire for the night," he said, a yawn slipping through his mouth.