Chapter 5

I haven't seen him for two or almost three months after that night's incident. He too left things to fate. Maybe only that much he cared. I didn't wish for his birthday. I thought he deserved it. I didn't answer any of his messages or calls. I did care but didn't show it out. To be honest, I missed him so much.

August 14. My birthday. It'd be nice if he wished. I couldn't expect that as I didn't even consider his birthday for a second.

Paris and Joe gave me a midnight cake cutting ceremony. It was very much unexpected. Paris did always the best to cheer me. Joe too gave a hand to her efforts. I felt valued and significant. But my heart said otherwise, it yearned for something more.

No Drew.

My collegues in office blessed my soul with their hearty wishes. That day's lunch was on me as I didn't have any birthday party that year. They were on cloud nine enjoying my treat. I found my joy in their happiness.

Still no Drew.

The day ended with plenty of wishes and gifts. I and Paris had some struggle in carrying all the gifts to the flat.

We sat for an evening tea. Paris took a sip of her nourishing green tea. "Did Drew show up today?"

"No," was all I said.

We winded up our conversation with that.

Even now no Drew.

Time passed very slowly. I felt like stuck in space. I checked out my gifts to entertain myself. First few gifts were interesting but soon I felt boring. I wasn't unsatisfied with them. It was monotonic and obvious to guess. I even slept while unwrapping the last four or five gifts.

No Drew. Not at all.

I didn't care to wish him. Then why should he?

The window closed with a thud. I closed it already,didn't I?

I opened my sticky eyes and I was amazed by the view. The most awaited Drew stood there in my dim lit room. He hissed, "Happy birthday, Sue!"

"Why are you here?" I narrowed my brows.

He sat on bed and leaned back supporting his head with a pillow. He was lying beside me. He said smirking, "You waited for me all day long. This is how you welcome me."

Yes, I wanted to see him but how did he knew that I was waiting for him. Might be he knew me that well then. Anyway I wasn't planning to be easy with him. I smacked his face with a pillow and got up the bed. He pulled my leg, within seconds I was lying on him. I said highly irritated, "You didn't give a damn for last three months. Why do you care now?"

I tried to get up but my efforts in vain with his hands wrapped around my waist.

"You said that you need your space. So I gave it. And also for one month I have been to the rehab centre. I thought you'd call on my birthday. But you didn't." He tried to reason. Not going to work with me.

I was still lying on him. I placed my head on the pillow near his left ear.

"You did wrong. Yet you expect me to call you," I said in a tone which clarified that I was in the fighting mode.

"I'm done with fighting, Sue. Please listen to me," he pleaded.

"Go on." I gave him his chance to explain things. Everyone must be given a second chance.

His eyes were teary. He cleared his throat. It actually added up to the dramatic feel. "See I have been into drugs since high school. My family was broke at that time. So I stayed at my uncle's. I had money more than enough which led me into drugs. Once I self realised. I went to rehab and I was out of it. Two weeks before our incident, I met my old friends. They pulled me into it. I thought, one time can't hurt. But it did hurt very much."