Chapter 4

Five months being his girlfriend actually changed me a lot. Sometimes I thought true love does exist. But deep down, I know, it was just because of my brand new relationship. Even it was no serious thing, I wished it continued as long as it could.

It was 1 at night. People in the city would be working or partying or sleeping or trying to sleep like me.

I went to bed around 10 but I couldn't sleep. I was struggling in hard to sleep. Paris went to a stupid freaking party with none other than Joe. My one roommate vacated last month. Other roommate was on a trip to someplace awesome. I didn't know where.

I'd be amazing if Drew too took me on a trip. It is not my style to ask for things like this. Anyway I hadn't heard from him in past two weeks. Even Joe rarely saw him those days.

I heard something. It was frightening as I was alone. I realised, it was the doorbell. The bell's sound raised my heartbeat gradually. I switched on all the lights in our flat. Maybe Paris returned. I calmed myself.

I opened the door. I found wretched Drew with bloodshot eyes. Before I could regain my composure, he stumbled and fell on the rug. He lied there like a dead man. I rushed to the kitchen to bring some water. I took a glass of water to the hall.

Drew was not on the rug. I spotted him on the couch. Maybe he dragged himself but still he looks unconscious. I sprinkled water on his face. He wiped his face and slowly opened his eyes. He had not spoken a single word from his arrival.

I couldn't hold back my questions. "Are you drunk?" I shake him slightly to get his attention.

"No." Was all he said.

"Then how do you explain your bloodshot eyes?" I pushed him back and stared at him with hands crossed over my chest.

"I'm on drugs..."

My hand lost its steadiness and fell free. My eyes darkened in anger. I didn't know how to react to that statement. Too many questions revolved around to be asked.

"Since high school," he added.

That second statement shocked me the most. Is Drew a drug addict since high school? If anyone other than him said that, I would have never believed. He showed off more like a well mannered guy.

He caught me off guard. Suddenly he got up and pinned me to the wall. "Yes. I was addicted." He mumbled and tightened his grip till it hurt. "Will forgave me and supported me. You too must be with me even if I am an addict. Do you understand?" His voice turned into a sharp tone.

He grabbed my neck and smashed my head against the wall. I felt the blood oozing out of my head but he wouldn't stop. I took the knife from a basket placed on the table. I had no other choice. I marked half length of his torso with one stroke of the knife. He screamed and fell on the floor into foetus position. His white shirt stained in blood.

I threw the knife away and ran upstairs. I was dizzy due to the blood loss. I called Paris. Someone picked up, I asked help. I didn't remember what happened then, I passed out.

•••
I woke up in the hospital with bandage around my head. My eyelids were heavy but I managed to open my eyes. There was Joe swiping his phone worriedly and Paris was crying on his shoulder. There was no sign of Drew. Hope he survived the night. Paris sobbed heavily. I could never see her cry. "Don't cry babe. I'm fine," I assured.

Paris wiped her tears and came by the bed. She helped me sit. "Thank God. You woke up. Last night, Joe and I took you and Drew to the hospital after your call. I was so worried for you."

"Actually she was blaming herself for what happened," Joe said and placed his arm on her shoulder comforting her. "And Drew is fine. He's just going to have a scar from you on his torso. He's in the next room. You can see him now, if you want."

Paris brushed his arm off. She averted her eyes from me to him. "Tell him Sue's apology. She'll not see him again," she said sternly.

Joe massaged his temple. He too had a tough night cleaning the mess we made. "I sorted all the legal issues," was all he said.

I squeezed her arm. I looked at Joe who was in dismay. I said to him clearly. "He hurt me. I hurt him back. I don't find an apology necessary."

"Thanks for helping with the legal issues." I gave a genuine smile. I definitely don't want any charges on both of us like attempt murder or whatever.

"So you don't want to see him?" Joe asked. Paris rolled her eyes in response.

"No. I need my space for sometime. Tell him this. That's enough," I replied dryly.

It never pains me to hurt you
Or force you to be with me,
Not because I hate you
But I love you too much
To let go of you.