The Study Begins

{I'm sorry for the wait and possible mistakes, I'll try to be better at updating.}

I spotted Carmilla in her usual corner of the breakfast room. I wanted to turn around, beg Laf until they changed their mind, anything. I didn't understand my own thoughts. She was a patient, a normal patient. I never had this kind of problem approaching any of the other patients. Did I find the girl intimidating? I guess not knowing what she's capable of has me out of my comfort zone. If Laf wanted me close to her, I had to start by gaining her trust and this was the only way I knew how.

'Girl the hell up Hollis.' I think to myself before taking a deep breath and walking over to Carmilla. When I reach her table she flips the page of her book, not bothering to look up at me.

"Morning blondie, is it my turn to bite you?" She teases without her gaze leaving her book. I pull the sleeve down on my long sleeve hiding the very visible bandaged up bruise and healing scar.

"If you'd like a needle being jabbed in your arm then sure, go ahead." I say sternly, crossing my arms against my chest. I wasn't going to let her words get to me, I knew better.

Carmilla looks up from her book to me with an amused smile. It was short lived when she seemed to notice her morning prescription in my hand. The smile fades to a straight face.

"Are those mine?" She asks placing the book down in front of her, not even bothering to mark the page.

"Yes ma'am-"

"Firstly, don't call me ma'am, you're probably way older than me." She interrupts me.

I couldn't believe I hadn't thought to check her age at the very least when I had her file on me.

"Oh um, how-"

"And secondly, is it really my turn this time?" When questioning me she didn't seem too happy, yet too upset either. I couldn't exactly tell how she felt about this.

"Yes?" I say in a questioning tone.

"You don't seem too sure Luc-"

"Laura." I roll my eyes correcting Carmilla's predictable mistake and pointing at my company badge.

She squints as if she was really trying to read the badge.

"They should really get you guys light up badges or bigger letters. I can hardly read the name on that thing."

I look to my badge and shrug.

"Here, take these then I am to escort you to Doctor Lafontaine for-"

"My 30 minute session... of silence. I know the drill blondie, you're the new one, not me, remember?" Carmilla sighs into her chair crossing her arms across her chest.

"Sorry, it's policy that I explain this." I place her medications in front of her.

"Of course it is." I stare blankly at the floor in silence for a few minutes feeling Carmilla's gaze on me. I was starting to think she'd never move until Carmilla finally gives in and stands.

"Alright, let's get this over with." She grabs her pills and walks ahead of me. Following close behind, the walk to Laf's office was quiet. I was surprised at how little she wanted to talk to me today since every time I saw her she had some smart thing to say.

When we reach their office I take a seat outside and wait as Carmilla walks in with the door shut behind.

Her session felt like it took all day because of how tired I was towards the end of it. I could only blame myself for tossing and turning last night. I couldn't sleep because I couldn't stop thinking about how bad this idea was. Laf didn't think this fully through. Of course being a crutch sounded like a great idea to them but what they didn't realize was I wasn't an object used to help a healing person stand and move. I am a person with feelings, as Carmilla is. And if these feelings were to... mix... with the amount of time I will be spending with her, Carmilla could grow attached.. or worse.. I cou-