CHAPTER 6

We searched for him in every site possible, with every combination possible. But our one hour was fruitless.

I sigh and drop on the bed feeling disappointed. At first I wasn't interested but then going through all the profiles and the thought of actually seeing him after so many years made my heart thump loud and fast inside my ribcage, it even caused my palms to sweat, goose bumps to erupt on my skin.

I got really excited but then the excitement turned to be waste. Gunjan would have given up half an hour earlier but I insisted, half an hour is too less time to give up. She eyed me suspiciously after that but I didn't care.

As I lay on bed I wondered about Arham. Usually I had always blocked his thoughts, whenever I thought of him I had controlled myself. But tonight I didn't stop myself. I wondered how will be his life? was he guilty? did he think of me? did he marry?

Irony of my life, he had once been the guy I imagined by whole future with and now he is the guy whose future I don't know.

That night I had a very restless sleep.

Two days later, I find myself sitting in the centre stage of a posh hotel surrounded with many chatting women, gossiping girls, fooling around kids.

Tonight is my engagement with Aamir. I feel no less than a cartoon dressed up with a heavy Orange and Maroon lehengha and even more heavy dupatta, it's really difficult to manage them. And to add to my misery is a heavy Necklace around my neck almost choking me, with a long golden chain which reaches till my stomach, it was a big round locket.

My golden Jhumkas are equally heavy and these damn bangles. Orange and Maroon bangles adorn my wrist, they are so many and make cling-cling sound when I move my hands. My mom had also forced me to put on Mehendi, that too till my elbow. I had requested her not to as I will have to go for work in two days.

I wanted to be done with this namesake engagement and go back to where my heart belongs, my work, my passion, my ad agency.

'Haye! She is looking so pretty. MashaAllah' one of the aunties, which my mother introduces to be my NRI aunt, who is my father's third's cousin. Oh wait! Second, I think. Arghh...so annoying. She hands me an envelope. Everyone has given me some gifts, it's mostly money in an envelope. I have already said my mom I am not keeping any of this money and they can use this for my marriage if they want, and jewellery is useless for me, I am not much of a jewellery person.

'Your Mehendi is so dark, Aamir loves you a lot' another aunty says. I roll my eyes, I and Aamir have met only once and spoken few times on phone. The more I talk to him, the more he annoys me. I wonder if I will commit a murder if I stay with him.

In few conversations that I had with him I tried to bring up the topic of me continuing my work after marriage but he had always very slyly changed the conversation. I am not liking this, but do I have a choice.

I wanted to meet him face to face and confront him but he always made excuses of his busy schedules. I am tolerating him only because of my family, else I would have given him kick in the right place. No one treats me this way. No problem, once this engagement is done with I will show him his right place.

Gunjan is sitting beside me on the arm rest of the sofa. She is dressed in peacock green and golden saree, it's her engagement dress, she has tied her hair in a loose bun with Ghajra around it and matching Jhumkas, her neck is bare. She keeps nudging me and annoying me. I glare at her but she doesn't stop annoying me.

Few minutes later, there is chaos in the ladies section. Aamir and his parents enter the venue where all the ladies are. I look up and watch him come with his parents. He is dressed in Maroon shervani and cream pants. I must admit he looks handsome, but what is the use of a beautiful face when his personality is garbage.