I heard Annie yell about me messing up her hair, but I was too focused on getting to my room and being alone to gather my wits and thoughts to notice much of what she said.  I took the stairs two at a time and basically sprinted to my bedroom.  I fell on my bed the second after the door closed.  The last 24 hours had taken their toll on me.  I closed my eyes, wishing I could just wake up to a world where vampires didn’t exist.  I laid there in silence, until I started hearing a small vibrating noise, which kept stopping and starting over and over again.  I sat up, looking around my room, searching for the sources of the noise.

I spotted a small red box with a big bow sitting on my desk.  The noise was coming from this.  First, I was pissed the vampires had been in my house, and put a present in my room.  Second, I felt weird they were actually giving me gift, as if they were trying to buy me off.  I felt violated and offended that they think I would just agree to their desires because of gifts.  Third, why was it wrapped up so fancy like?   I'm not a girl.  I don't care about wrapping paper or how pretty it looks.  The box kept vibrating and vibrating.  I debated taking the box and launching it out the window.  I smirked at the thought of Bobby lurking around outside and witnessing the present being tossed out.

The box suddenly stopped vibrating.  I laid-back down, feeling oddly satisfied.  They must have finally got the hint I was not going to play their game.  As suddenly as it stopped, the box burst back into life again, seemingly louder than before.  I could feel myself glaring at the box. I got up, furious with the stupid present sitting on my desk.  I  ripped the top and looked inside.  It was a brand new, shiny black cell phone with a little note that said simply:  “ANSWER ME”.  I was a little excited because I didn't have a cell phone and I really wanted one, but I didn't want one this way.  Putting the lid back on the box, I walked out the room and back down the stairs so I wouldn't have to listen to the annoying sound of the phone vibrating

Once downstairs, I could hear Annie and her friend giggling inside the fort.  I walked in the kitchen, pretty hungry as I hadn’t eaten for a while.  The house phone started ringing.  The phone wasn't in the dock, but I could hear it somewhere near.  I ignored it, but heard someone upstairs answer the phone.  I opened the freezer, saw a stash of hot pockets.  I grabbed three and put them in the microwave.

"Max!" I hear my mother yell from up stairs!

"Wait a sec,!" I yelled back.  

"Phone for you!" She replied.   I couldn’t find the phone anywhere.

"I can't find the phone!" I yelled back, still looking around the kitchen.

"Girls!" I heard my mother yell.  I turned around to see the phone lying on the table as Annie and her friend ran out of the room.   I grabbed the phone and hit the talk button.

"I got it.  You can hang up!" I shouted up to my mother.  I heard the ding signalling my food was done.  I opened the door to smell the deliciousness that was awaiting me.  I put the phone to my ear to talk with whomever called me.  

"Hello," I said, pulling the hot plate out.

"Ignoring phone calls is rude.  Plus, trying to avoid people who know your house number and where you live is not very smart."  I heard Luke's voice come out of the phone.  I felt as if all the blood in my system stopped moving.  I almost dropped my plate.

"Hold on," I say, hitting the mute button and setting the phone on the counter beside the plate.  I paced the kitchen a few times, trying to decide what I should do.

I could hang up, but they would just keep calling or worse they could just show up and that wouldn't be a good thing.  I grabbed the phone and plate and headed back up to my room where I guess I was going to have to face whatever they had to say to me.  I went up the stairs reluctantly, closing the door.  Once again, I debated hanging the phone up,  but I could take the chance of them calling back again.  I took the phone off mute and took a deep breath, trying to control my emotions..