Dumped II

"You're talkative tonight." I said, sipping on one of my favorite mixed drinks. "I just have a lot to say. Sorry...I'm not trying to bother you." "Bother me? No way, I was just taking a note aloud." he smiled. "So did things get crazy during your breakup, too?" he asked. "No, not really. He dumped me over texts." "Texts!? What a jerk..." "I know. Who does that besides high school age kids?" "Immature people. We broke up in person..." "See, I respect that. I don't see why suddenly I became so unimportant that he felt like he needed to TEXT me that shit." "You may have become unimportant to him, but that's his loss. He's a douche. Forget him." I realized he was right. "So what caused your breakup this time? Same as last time? I'd like to think not." "Nah, it was...things just weren't progressing anywhere. You know how it goes. You start dating someone, and things are great. The two of you grow together, and things are even greater...then you either take things to the ultimate level and are happy, or you start falling apart.  It's not that I expected her to stay in that 'new boyfriend' obsession phase, but she really started drifting. She became the total opposite of who she was up until that point. I talked to her about it, and she admitted that she was kinda fizzling out on me...she apologized, and we tried to get things going again, but it was just wrong. She knew it, I knew it...we didn't want things to end, but we had no choice but to end them. We knew it wasn't goingt to be forever." I shook my head. "You two were great together." I said. "I know. We WERE. I dunno what happened." "Um, isn't it obvious? It was life." He shrugged. "I guess so." We were both quiet for awhile. "So...are the drinks okay?" I nodded. "This place has a great bartender." I remarked. "He makes Long Island ice teas like a boss...do you miss drinking?" I asked. "What's there to miss? It's drinking..." I offered him a sip of my drink. "Are you trying to kill me?" I laughed. "I might be." I replied. He gave me a suspicious look before taking a sip. "Oh god, that thing is fucking strong." He said. I laughed. "Where were these back when I did drink?" "All around. This is a famous drink, Mark." "I'm not a booze buff, alright?" he said, shaking his head. "I need a palate cleanser. All I can taste is booze." I giggled. "Your fault. I was testing you." "Testing me?" "To see if I could get you to do something." He gave me a look. "I feel stupid for doing that. I am going to pay later." he said, taking a drink of water. "For the record, I really don't miss drinking...otherwise I'd be having drinks now and again like old times. I took a sip to be nice. Look at what that got me...I can't get this horrid taste out of my mouth." At that moment, I had a thought cross my mind. It wasn't the purest most responsible or even respectful thought I'd ever had, but it was a thought nonetheless. I leaned in and kissed him. His breath hitched silently, but he kissed back. I broke the kiss. "Did that...you know, help with the bad taste?" I asked, blushing a bit. "No, I think I need another dose." he said, pulling me into a kiss. A chorus of 'get a rooms' and 'call a cab, drunks' rang out from behind us. I broke the kiss and laughed a bit. "For a bunch of party animals drinking and playing grab-ass, they sure are a sensitive bunch." Mark agreed and we made the decision to leave. We headed out into the night. "So...should we get a room?" he asked. "You own a home, I rent a nice apartment. Why would we need a room?" I laughed. "Romance?" he suggested. I looked at him. "You're serious right now, aren't you?" "As a heart attack." I blushed hard, and looked at the ground. "That would be great, but no sleazy motels." "Deal." he laughed. I climbed into the passenger seat of his car. "Let's see..." he said, looking at his phone. "There are a LOT of hotels in LA." "Well duh." I replied. "Be nice." he said. "I've had my feelings hurt by one woman already." I stuck my tongue out. "What's that? An invitation?" I just winked. "(Y/N), are you teasing me?" he asked. I winked again. "Alright." he said, driving off. "That's cool, be that way." I laughed. We made a stop at the closest decent hotel we could find. I sat in the car looking at my phone while Mark booked a room for the night. I was disappointed to see that my ex had text me many times while I was out sitting at the bar with Mark. I scowled, reading through the fake apologies and other miscellaneous bullshit he thought it'd be good to send me. I started deleting the messages when Mark opened my door. He studied me for a minute. "Well you went from chipper to chapped-ass in no time." he said. "Look, it's not that I don't wanna be here or something. You-know-who sent me a barrage of messages." Mark rolled his eyes. "Give me that stupid fucking phone." he said, outstretching his hand. I reluctantly obeyed. "Don't break it, it's brand new." I said. "Why would I break it? That'd be...wrong to say the very least. Look, lemme show you something." he said, pressing buttons. "There. Deleted from your contacts, and blocked from texting and calling. Problem solved." I liked the idea of my ex not being able to reach me, but I felt a bit miffed that Mark had went ahead and handled the issue. "What if there was something I wanted to say?" I asked. "Was there?" Mark asked. "No..." I admitted, defeated. "Of course there wasn't. Why would you waste time on that loser?" I shrugged. "Alright, come on..." he said, ushering me toward the door. "Ready for this?" he asked, sounding a bit unsure. "I think that question is better suited for you." I replied. "I am...I'm just...nervous." I cocked my head. "It's only me." I said. "I know, but you're such a great friend...I don't want anything to mess up our friendship." I laughed. "This is going to bring us closer if anything." I said. He seemed relaxed. "Just as long as you don't run from me if I'm bad..." Bad? Him? I doubted it. Someone like him has about a .02 percent chance of being bad. "I'm not running anywhere." I said, following him to our room. "Neither am I. At least we have each other...shit, maybe that's all we'll ever have." I shook my head. "Nah...I don't think so....the second part, the first one is true." I followed him in. "This is so strange." I said. "What's wrong?" "We really did just go literally get a room, didn't we?" I laughed. "They told us to. Let the people have what the people want." I rolled my eyes. "Sure, that's what this is." Mark laughed. "Just get over here before you chicken out." I walked over to him and gave him a tight hug. "So...are you kissing me or am I kissing you?" he asked. I just looked at him. "Your call, Mark."' I replied, closing the gap between our mouths.