My *Almost* True Love Story

Inspired by actual events...

It all started on a normal Monday afternoon.  I had just entered the band room, completely ready for the day to end.  That was when I saw him.

He was standing in the center of the room.  I stared at him and he stared back at me.  My heart began to pound rapidly and a nervous feeling crept into me.  Should I talk to him?  What should I say?  No, I shouldn't say anything.  He probably had a girlfriend.  But he just kept staring at me.  Maybe he likes me, I thought wistfully.  I should just go up and say hello.  Just start up a casual conversation.

My mind made up, I began to stride over to him.  My mind was racing.  What should I say?  I could mention the weather.  No, that would be stupid. 

I was so close to him now, and I still didn't know what to say.  I was only a few feet away from him when disaster struck.

My foot caught on a stand and I fell into him, knocking him over.  I made a desperate grab for his neck to try to save him, but it was too late.  He fell with a deafening crash.  His head hit into one of the chairs and fell off, falling to the floor. 

"NOOO!" I screamed, falling to my knees.  "What have I done?!"  I picked up his head and held it in my arms, sobbing. 

I'd just killed the most beautiful band stand in the world.

Stan the Band Stand was dead.