Prologue

*I do not own BBC's Sherlock or any of their characters. I do however own the main character of this spinoff, Ashlyn as well as a few other characters that will be introduced later on.*

~Also, you can probably skip to the end of this prologue. It's just so you know where I started my fanfic in relation to the show. Thank you all for your support!

"Sherlock-" John says abruptly, "That's him. That's the man I was talking to you about." Recognizing the man he encountered just earlier today.

Sherlock notices the man approaching them and frowns angrily, "Oh I know exactly who that is."

The man stops in front of them, "So... another case cracked. How very public spirited... though it's never really your motivation, is it?" He asks pleasantly.

Ignoring the question Sherlock asks his own, "What are you doing here?"

"As ever, I'm concerned about you." The man says simply.

"Yes, I've been hearing about your concern." Sherlock says putting emphasis on the last word.

The man shifts his footing displeased with the obvious jab, "Always so aggressive. Did it never occur to you that we belong on the same side?"

"Oddly enough, no!" Sherlock retorts mockingly.

"We have more in common than you like to believe. This petty feud between us is simply childish. People will suffer ... and you know how it always upset Mummy." The man says.

John frowns glancing between the two men at the word Mummy.

Sherlock glowers at the man, "I upset her? Me? It wasn't me that upset her, Mycroft."

The man by the name of Mycroft leans back exasperated as if expecting an argument.

John speaks up, "No, no, wait. Mummy? Who's Mummy?"

"Mother, our mother. This is my brother, Mycroft." Sherlock answers still glaring at his brother.

John stares in amazement at this revelation unable to speak.

"Putting on weight again?" Sherlock jabs at Mycroft.

Mycroft with a smile replies, "Losing it, in fact."

John recovering from the shock looks at Sherlock, "He's your brother?!"

"Of course he's my brother."

"So he's not..." John starts but pauses looking embarrassed.

"Not what?" Sherlock asks both him and Mycroft looking at John now.

"I dunno... criminal mastermind?" John finishes grimacing a bit at having thought it in the first place.

Sherlock glances at Mycroft despairingly, "Close enough."

Mycroft jumps to defend himself, "For goodness' sake. I occupy a minor position in the British government."

Sherlock intercepts, "He is the British government, when he's not too busy being the British Secret Service or the CIA on a freelance basis."

Mycroft let's out a sigh clearly put out by his brother.

Sherlock turns back to him, "Good evening, Mycroft. Try not to start a war before I get home. You know what it does for the traffic."

With that Sherlock walks away. John starts to follow but quickly turns back to Mycroft, "So, when you say you're concerned about him, you actually are concerned?"

Mycroft furrows his brows in dismay watching his brother go, "Yes, of course."

"I mean, it actually is a childish feud?" John asks bewildered.

Mycroft still watching his brother, " He's always been so resentful. You can imagine the Christmas dinners."

John glancing over at Sherlock, "Yeah... no. God, no!" John looks over at Anthea who stands near Mycrofts car typing into her blackberry.

Mycroft turns away tuning out Johns attempt at getting his assistants attention watching his brother stop walking as he waits for John. My dear brother... what am I going to do with you?

John giving up on getting Anthea's phone number bids them a goodnight and hurries to catch up to Sherlock.

"Sir, shall we go?" Anthea asks Mycroft sounding bored.

Mycroft still watching the two men sauntering off down the road sighs, "Interesting, that soldier fellow."

Anthea looks up momentarily before looking back at her phone obviously preoccupied with something else.

Mycroft continues, "He could be the making of my brother... or make him worse than ever. Either way, we'd better upgrade their surveillance status. Grade Three Active."

Anthea looks up surprised, "Sorry sir, whose status?"

With a sigh Mycroft answers, "Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson. Call Miss Oakwood for me would you... have her come see me. Let's see if I can find my little brother a suitable babysitter."