"So? Can you help?" I asked hopefully with my fingers crossed.

He stared at me and Alec intensely then averted his gaze. "This is serious, he could potentially be here for months!" He began.

"But..?" A hopeful Alec asked.

"But he's lucky I know the Chief," he spoke determinedly before leaving us so he could sort out this big mess.

-

"Thank you Al, this won't happen again. I'll make sure he apologises," I caught the end of Keith and the Chief's conversation. It sounded positive but I couldn't be too quick to judge and get my hopes up.

A smile was painted on his face as he approached us. "Good news kids," he spoke and we rejoiced instantly. "If his record wasn't clean prior to this, it would be hopeless getting him out early— no matter how close me and Al are." I was actually surprised that he had a clean record. So he wasn't as bad-ass as he wanted people to believe.

"So where is he?" I peered over to the door and he chuckled.

"I need to fill some paperwork in and then he'll be released, you kids should go home. I'll bring him." Alec and I looked at each other, not entirely sure whether that was a good idea. We agreed nonetheless.

"So he was let off just like that?" I was surprised. No, I was shocked.

"There is a fine to pay but that's for me to worry about, Tyler doesn't need to know."

"How much?" I narrowed my eyes, not liking the idea of his father having to pay.

"That's not important, it's my responsibility anyway. Now off you go," he ended the conversation and walked away.

Keith would have made a good dad if he hadn't abandoned his children years ago; he seemed to really care. But he ruined his chance and I didn't blame Tyler and Heidi for not giving him another. He may have been able to spend money on them but they didn't receive the love, support and protection that they needed whilst they grew up.

"Come on, I'll drive you home," Alec tugged on my arm.

I decided to head to Tyler's house instead of my own. I'd be here when he returned, I could spend some more time with my best friend and it bought me time to think of an excuse I could present to my family. A family I knew would be so pissed off with me.

I ignored Laura and headed straight upstairs to find Heidi. The door of Tyler's room was open wide so I entered, only to find Kyle settling in and arranging some of his belongings around. Would Tyler actually share a room with him?

I laughed at the thought. Tyler would probably end up murdering him with his bare hands as soon as he saw that Kyle had taken over half of the room in his absence.

"What are you smiling at?" Kyle snapped me out of my thoughts.

"Hm? Oh, nothing. I just came to see Heidi," I covered up. It was true though.

"Well her room is that way," he pointed out for me. As if I didn't know. "So bye." He stood up and literally shoved me out before I had the chance to speak, slamming the door in my face. Rude. What was up his ass? Stupid boys.

I pushed open the door to my best friend's room without knocking. Her back was facing me and she was sat on her bed, crouching over and holding her hair back.

"Heidi? You okay?" I cautiously stepped forward.

My voice seemed to have startled her and she started coughing hoarsely, slipping incoherent words in between. I ran to her aid and noticed the bin she tightly held onto. Without questioning anything, I pulled her hair away from her face as she poured a mixture of vomit, phlegm and saliva into the container. Tears stained her cheeks and I realised that this probably wasn't the first time it had happened.