Secret

Allurah stood stone still, shocked beyond words.  Nothing in the kitsune's face suggested deception, although with a wave of her fingers she could test his honesty.   Nothing he said made sense, except that they had been attacked by assassins from  The Shining One, as the King of Shaahalesti was apparently called.

Moments went by as she sought to digest the information Gennosuke had divulged to her.  She vaguely became aware of the intense concentration on Phelps' face as he watched her closely.

Turning so her face wouldn't show she said through clenched teeth, "How can this be...how can this be I have no memory or knowledge of this??"  

Gennosuke kindly patted her arm, and said soothingly, " Your mother made it her life's endeavor to keep you safe.  She knew  early on that your father was bloodthirsty, cruel and completely committed to his own plans to rule the empire.  Your birth was unexpected and set you in line for his throne, as you were born months before his daughter Salosha.  Salosha has been raised from the crib to be a subject of her father's, to rule exactly as he prescribes, once the day comes he passes his crown on."  Taking a  breath he continued, "Your mother had fled the castle once she realized she expected you.  She did not want her child to be under the thumb of a tyrant.  One day, not long after you were born, a nobleman of the court saw you, and immediately knew whose child you were.  You very much resemble your father, milady.  Once word of your existence reached Shaaladel, he became incensed.    Now his perfect plans were in peril, for there drew breath another claim to the throne, and one stronger than Shalosha's, as you are his firstborn child."

Allurah shook her head but continued to listen.  "You and you alone are the true heir to the throne of the Shaahalesti Kingdom.  It is your duty and birthright and your father has tried for years to find you and do away with you.  Now more than ever milady it is imperative that you watch closely your safety and keep what you know secret.  You will have more assassins, particularly if his spies can find you.  I will be your shield and call you my mistress.  I am duty bound to protect you."

Allurah stepped away from Gennosuke....the swirl of emotions taking her brutally.   In no way  had she ever expected to hear this from this newcomer.  That her mother had died protecting her filled her with agony.  Shutting her eyes and taking deep breaths she steadied herself.  This would remain a secret, it had to remain a secret.  The jeopardy she already placed her party in caused her pain, but there was little she could do.   It was better they knew less, it would protect them in turn, or at least she hoped.

Looking up, she found Dagobert close by and in a pain dulled voice said, "This is Gennosuke No Sayuki, he is joining us on our adventure and we need to move, now."