Machine

One day later and Bill was wandering around the house, fumbling with the crutches and cursing the floor every time he accidentally put too much pressure on his foot. You helped him as much as you could. Bill was also becoming insistent on furthering your research, which confused you, but you went along with it. Any time you began to question, Bill would simply remind you to trust him and quickly peck you on the cheek. You forgot your concerns soon afterward.

It wasn't too long that you began to see results. Only two days after the hospital trip and the machine you and Bill had built began to create small gravitational anomalies. Only lifting up small rocks and such, anyhow. It had no business in doing so, except only to expel the excess power it generated. It was an extremely complicated machine, requiring your surgeon-like precision in handiwork and Bill's knowledge of seemingly endless capabilities to assemble it. It was still in its prototype form, so it had complications in what it was supposed to be doing.

It had a complicated build, but a simple objective. As Bill had first explained, it was to be used to turn energy into physical matter. He did not quite exactly explain the purpose for that, but you had concluded yourself that you were going to use it to further human knowledge in physics, chemistry, and many other scientific fields that would benefit from this machine.

One day later and you had fixed the bugs. The gravitational anomalies were slightly larger, pulling weak-rooted plants from the soil, but it was a small price to pay. You looked in awe at the rope-like string of physical energy before you. Glowing a soft yellow, it buzzed and cracked. Unstable, yes, but explosive, no. You and Bill grinned at the sight.

Bill began to reach for it, but you slapped his hand away. "Ow! What was that for?!" Bill whined, holding his hand as if it were a child.

"Do you not see how hot it is? Or even hear the crackling?" you answered, grabbing a pair of tongs from the nearby counter.

"That's not the only yellow thing in this room that's hot," Bill said with a chuckle.

You smiled and rolled your eyes. "I walked into that one," you replied, carefully picking up the rope of energy.

The metal that was placed around it instantly began to glow a bright red and the spot where the rope was once lying was singed black, leaving a swirl in the counter. "Told ya," you said. "Hot." You began to move it to the metal canister you had built specifically to withstand large amounts of heat. Suddenly, the rope slid out of the tongs as you had just slightly relaxed them to give your arms some relief. The rope fell to the floor and hit a puddle, making an ominous hissing sound.

Bill seemed to recognize the danger before you did and immediately pulled you away. Almost as if on cue, the water around the rope exploded in a fury of blue, electrically charged, boiling droplets. Bill, already wearing the rubber gloves you forced onto his hands, grabbed a nearby metal tray and shielded the both of you from the heart-stopping projectiles. As soon as the carnage was finished, Bill put down the tray and picked up the tongs, grabbing the rope and dropping it in the canister.

You made a small, delayed squeak, as the shock (pun not intended) had rendered you silent for the split second the explosion had happened. Bill looked at you with a look of concern on his face. "Are you alright?" he asked, walking back over to you. You slowly nodded. Bill put his hand under his chin in a thoughtful manner, "So this is extremely unstable, especially around water... that won't be good when we get to its real purpose. We'll have to work a way to make it more stable, maybe less hot. A lot less hot."

Bill looked at you. You were still shaking from earlier, and you were pale as a ghost. Bill sighed, "You should take a break. I'll continue working on a way to make this more stable."

"A-are you sure...?" you whispered, rubbing your wrist like a small child.

Bill nodded and gave you a small smile, "Don't worry. I'll make sure not to touch the rope."

You smiled back at him and slowly walked out of the lab, carefully avoiding the still-smoking spot of the watery massacre. Bill waved a small goodbye and you waved back, shutting the door behind you as you left.

Six days after the hospital trip. Well, six days and half a night. Bill had ran into your room, well, more hobbled in with his sprained ankle in a cast, screaming "EUREKA!" at the top of his lungs. "(Y/N)! (Y/N)! Wake up! Come on! Come on! Wake up!"

You slowly rolled to your side and looked at Bill with a pair of sleepy, (e/c) eyes. "What...?" you mumbled, hugging your pillow.

"I've figured it out! The machine can successfully transfer a large amount of energy into a physical form stably! It's not hot and it doesn't make water explode! Come on! Come on!" Bill exclaimed, dragging you out of bed.

You slowly got on a pair of slippers and looked at the time.  "Ugh... Bill... It's eleven fifty-five PM... Couldn't this have waited until tomorrow?" you groggily stated, letting him lead you down the stairs by the hand.

"Nope! Because I've got a huge surprise for you at midnight! And I mean huge!" Bill replied with as much excitement as a kid on Christmas morning.

He dragged you outside into the cold, winter night and pulled you into the lab. It was eleven fifty-six. You looked around, noticing the machine to be slightly hovering above the counter. "Is it supposed to do that...?" you asked, pointing at it. 

"It'd explode if it didn't, so... yeah!" Bill responded, pulling you toward it. He picked up a limp rope of energy, and you about screamed at him. "Don't worry! I told you, stable! It's about as warm as normal human skin temperature so it's fine! And look!" Bill put the rope into a bucket of water, and it made no indications of exploding. It was now eleven fifty-seven.

"Oh wow... how?"

"We needed to redirect the energy the machine was creating more toward gravity fluctuations instead of entering the physical energy itself!"

"But then where did the physical energy come from?"

"Well, energy is all around us. So all I had to do was create a system that could read the energy being used and take it and transfer it into physical energy. So it doesn't pop out of the machine but instead turns the energy in that spot. I've programmed it not to transfer sound or light energy, because that would be a huge mess. But it works!"

Eleven fifty-eight had struck the clock.

You looked at the softly glowing rope in awe. "Man you are so much smarter than me... I would have never figured it out."

"No, it just would have taken you longer. Because you have a lot of stuff to deal with. Like death, pain, possibly blowing up the planet, you know. Stuff like that!"

You laughed a little at Bill's excitement. "Why are you so excited, anyway? What's the reason for this thing?"

Bill smiled, eleven fifty-nine. "You'll know in just a minute. What I want you to do is turn the machine on when I say 'now,'" Bill walked over and pointed at a small, yellow, triangular button on the machine. "Press that button as soon as you turn it on."

"What does it do?"

"I can't tell you just yet. Just press it. And then as soon as you do, find somewhere stable to hold onto. Because as soon as that button is pressed, there's going to be a gravitational anomaly so big it will lift cars off of the ground and rip trees from their roots. And you do not want to fall to the ground after it ends, because the gravity will return really fast. You'll feel like your being squished for a split second, but it's better than falling and breaking something."

You nodded.

"Alright! Now, turn around and look at the machine. Don't look back until I tell you to!" Bill said, taking a couple steps back. You turned to the machine, actually excited for what would happen yourself

Twelve o' clock has struck.