Chapter Seventeen

• Dedicated to Thunder

Chapter Seventeen: Brody

Maple spent the day who knows where, so I spent the day looking at pictures and drawing I had made/taken of her. Around the time that people would be eating dinner, I heard strange sounds outside. I looked out the window of the room that Duke, Walter and I shared, and I saw a horrifying scene. The mansion was surrounded by people. People, and foxes.

We were being attacked. I ran downstairs and found Maple and Jason in the dining room. Funny. I didn't know there was a dining room. I thought.

"What's happening?" I asked.

"We don't know. That's what we're trying to figure out." Maple told me. All three of us walked over to the window and looked out to see that the people and foxes were growing closer. I saw a woman run out from behind a tree and approach the house. It took me a minute to recognize the woman, but I realized who it was.

My mom.

I ran to the side door and opened it for her. I let her in then shut the door. "What are you doing?" I asked the second the door was closed. Maple and Jason ran over and stood next to me.

"I came to warn you, but I wasn't fast enough. You're being attacked. I know what they're going to do though. I can help you win this battle."

"Who are you?" Jason asked, in a tone that suggested that he would kill her if she gave him the wrong answer.

"She's my mom. And we will let her help us, because if we don't, we probably wont win this. If we do, we have a better chance of winning."

"You aren't in charge here." Jason retorted.

"Jason, would you like to win?" Maple asked. Jason nodded. "Good. Then its settled. Brody's mom will help."

"But-" Jason started.

"No buts. I'm going to make sure that Red's okay." Maple went upstairs and left Jason, mom and myself to defend everyone.

"Alright. So what's their plan?" Jason asked my mom, gesturing outside.

"They have a member of their 'pack', if you will, that's a member of yours. They're planning on that person to let everyone in so that they can kill everyone here."

"Who is it that's going to let them in?"

"No one knows. Only our leader and the other person."

"Ok. So what do we do? Guard every entrance?" I suggested.

"Well, we would, but Maple has a secret one. She wont tell anyone where it is. So how do we guard that one?" Jason said in a 'duh' tone.

"Easy, she guards it."

"Two problems with that. One, she would never leave Red alone. Two, she could get hurt."

"Two easy solutions. One, Red's a hunting dog. He can protect her. Two, Red will protect her and she can take care of herself." I said, mocking his tone.

"Fine. Go tell her to guard he secret entrance, with Red. I'll get everyone and have them go to doors and guard them." Jason commanded.

I went upstairs to the attic to find Maple staring out the window. I walked over to her and looked where she was looking. It took me a few minutes, but I finally saw what she was looking at.

My dad. Attacking. He was going to kill me if he got the chance.

Maple looked up at me and mouthed 'I'm sorry.'

But I wasn't sad. I was furious.

_________________________________________________________________________________

meh. 579 word chapter. stupid short chapter. DRAMATIC!!!!!!!!!!