Prologue ࿂

• Dedicated to Thunder

Prologue: Maple

The day I was first seen was the scariest day of my life. All foxes knew that, in our woods, nobody was safe if we were seen. Although we were harmless, people seemed to think we would kill. We had to hide, and if we saw anyone, run.

I seemed to be the only one comfortable around people, and I so desperately wanted to be one of them for the rest of my life. All the other foxes were afraid of them though. But, they had a good reason to be. In, pretty much, every house there was a gun. Those guns had only one use: to shoot foxes.

There was one person I watched that seemed to like foxes though. He was different from all the other people. He seemed to be interested in foxes.

One day while watching him he looked up and I noticed something. He was looking at me. He had been doing the same thing everyday for years! Every fall and spring!

I ran. I kept running until I was sure not even another fox could find me. All of the other foxes would be mad if they found out. In our woods, to be seen was to be dead. But for every spring and fall he had watched me. Did he even know he was supposed to kill us if he saw us? He had to. He looked like he was 16 or 17.

But if he knew, why wouldn't he have killed me by now? I had to get closer and find out.