Chapter Thirty-Five

Start from the beginning

            "You've said enough." Varian hissed precariously, reaching out to grasp Lily's arm.

            "What is he talking about?" she whirled on him, wrenching out of his grasp.

            Varian cast an icily glare on Kirov, "We can discuss it later-"

            "No, now!" she demanded, "What are Rogues?" she turned to ask Kirov directly.

            The wolf appeared all the more eager to inform her, "They're vampires clearly out of check with their humanity. They have no sense of control over the bloodlust that enthralls them."

            "Since when did you become equipped on the matters of our kind?" Talon asked frostily.

            Kirov's eyes narrowed heatedly, "Since you became my enemy."

            "I want you out of here." Varian growled, seizing Lily's arm and tugging her toward the stairs.

            "I can help you." Kirov called.

            Talon stepped in his view, "Your stink offends my sensibilities, mutt."

            Kirov's mouth tilted into a grin, but his eyes remained as green shards of glass. He cast another glance to the stairs and then started for the door but paused when the woman in the corner caught his attention, noticing for the first time since arriving, that despite being his enemy, she was quite lovely.

            Lily wrenched from Varian once they were alone in the bedroom. His touch not only infuriated her but stirred a mixture of feelings she dare not submit too.

            She felt his presence like a massive wall and she moved to put space between them, "You haven't been entirely honest with me." She said rigidly, turning to peer angrily at him. "Why haven't you told me about these 'Rogues'?"
            "I had other matters on the mind." He growled darkly.

            "And I don't?" she snapped, "It seems my options are limited- either become the undead or its meal? Which is it, Varian?"

            He crossed the room to her and his sudden presence looming above her sucked the breath sharply from her lungs. His velvety dark eyes bespoke of explicit things and she was certain if she opened her mind to him, she would catch a glimpse of what lay behind that velour gaze.

            "I'm frightened." She whispered despite her anger and all the frustration brimming beneath the surface.

            He reached up and captured her chin between his forefinger and thumb, "I won't let anything hurt you." His dark, lilted voice laced heavily with warmth somewhat comforted her.

            She attempted a smile but all this was making her afraid. She hadn't realized that she had swayed on her feet until a large, muscled arm latched around her, sweeping her flush against the hardness of him. Naturally her hands came up between them and she would have pushed against the firmness that was his chest, magnificently construed of muscle, but she was tired and unnaturally weak.

            She relaxed against him and when she did, he reached beneath her knees and swept her gently against him. He carried her to the bed and laid her down. "You cannot expect me to tolerate this much longer." He said softly in her ear, "The transition needs to be completed or you will die. I am allowing you a bit of choice in the decision, but if it comes down to you dying, I will do it with or without your consent."

            Her eyes grew heavy but she heard the truth in the firmness of his words and a shudder passed through her.

            When she awoke again Varian was gone. Slowly rising in the ruffled blankets of the bed, she peered sleepily around the room, somewhat stronger than she had been.