Chapter 20

Avery's POV

I was walking beside Jack as the rest of the newsies were playing around with each other. We were heading back to the 'Hattan lodging house after this whole incident. I didn't really want to talk about it I just wanted to spend time with Jack and find out how he really feels about me. 

"Yous ready for tomorrow?" I ask

"Yeah this has got to work Avery. This decides if wes win or not" Jack said looking down at me.

"It will Jack, I believe in you" I said as I grabbed his hand. He looked at me with a smile and that's when we heard Mush behind us.

"Aw look at these two love boids" Mush said as he laughed then ran in front of us joining the rest of the newsies. I guess the boys have figured out everything about me and Jack. Jack and I laughed as we continued to walk and hold hands. We finally reached the lodging house and walked inside. It was late by now so most of the newsies headed upstairs to go to bed. Jack and I sat on a worn out couch while Kid Blink, Mush, Race and Skittery sat around us.

"So Avery how did you end up in that building with Boomer?" Race asked. I knew someone was going to ask so might as well explain.

I told them everything from the first night Boomer came at me to today when he knocked me out. As I told them this all of them looked like they were starting to get heated again especially Jack.

"Its okay now guys, you beat him up so I doubt he would mess with us again" I said as I looked over at Jack with a smile which seemed to have made him less mad.

"It looks like you're gonna have a real nice shiner on ya face though" Jack said as he gentle grabbed my chin and moved my head so he could see it better. He rubbed my shiner gentle with his thumb but it still hurt a little. 

"Sorry" Jack said quickly with a little panic in his voice when he saw me flinch a little.

"It's okay, it only hurts a little" I said with a reassuring smile.

"The real question here is how long yous two have been datin behind our backs" Kid Blink asked as he crossed his arms pretending to look like a parent which made us laugh. Jack and I looked at each other before Jack started to tell them.

"It all started the day David, Boots and I went to Brooklyn to get Spot and Avery to join the strike..." Jack said as he went on to tell the rest of the story. The boys seemed very interested and when Jack got to the part where I went up and kissed him the day David and I tried to help him escape the boys oooed as they gave Jack high fives while I just smiled and shook my head.

"I don't blame Spot for not wantin yous guys together but I'm glad he realized today that Jack really cares for yous and will protect yous cause yous two are cute together" Skittery said which made me smile even more. After a bit more of talking we all decided to go to bed. I walked up the stairs behind the boys who were goofing around quietly so they wouldn't wake anyone up. They all quickly walked in and got into bed before I entered so I ended up losing Jack. I looked around until I felt arms go around my waist as I let out a yelp which thankfully didn't wake anyone up. I turned around to see Jack smiling at me.

"Did I scare ya?" He asked with his cute grin he always has and let out a small laugh.

"Maybe" I said as I put my arms around his neck. We stood like that looking into each others eye for what felt like forever. It felt right being there at that moment with him and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. Jacks eye flickered to my lips then back to my eyes as he leaned in. I leaned in also as our lips brushed each other till I connected us. We were like that for a couple seconds until we heard someone speak up.

"Get a room" Kid Blink moaned in disgust as me and Jack turned to him laughing. I followed Jack to his bed as we both laid down cuddling with each other. It felt nice being in his embrace as we laid there. My head was on his chest and I fell asleep listening to his steady heartbeat.

Jack's POV

I went upstairs ahead of Avery while goofing off with the boys. As we entered the room I stood beside a bunk while I waited for Avery to enter. She walked in not seeing me standing there so I decided to go up behind her and grab her waist. She let out a cute little yelp that made me laugh a little. She turned around to look at me with an adorable smile on her face once she realized it was me.

"Did I scare ya?" I asked still laughing a little.

"Maybe" She said as she slipped her arms around my neck. I looked into her beautiful hazel eyes as we stood like that for what felt like the longest time but I didn't mind. I looked down at her lips and before I knew it I was leaning in and so was she. Our lips brushed each other until she connected us. We kissed for a couple seconds until we heard Kid Blink.

"Get a room" He said as we both laughed and went to my bed. We laid down and Avery cuddled up next to me. She laid her head on my chest as I ran my fingers through her hair. It felt perfect laying there with her. There was no other place that I would want to be right now than right here with her, not even Santa Fe. I fell asleep with her on my chest as I embraced her.

A/N- Sorry if this chapter was boring and short but the next will have a little drama. I'm trying to decide if I should end the book whenever the strike ends or if I should keep it going after. I have ideas for both so comment what you think I should do! Thank you for reading and don't forget to comment and vote!