Chapter 10

We left the courthouse and started to head for Tibby's like Denton said. Most everyone was quiet but for a few newsies would speak to each other here and there. I took this as an opportunity to talk to Spot about Jack. 

"Hey Spot, can I talk to you about something?" I asked as I walked beside Spot.

"Sure sis what is it?"

"Why don't you want me dating Jack?" 

"Avery I don't want to talk about this." Spot said getting a little angry.

"But why? Why can't I know why yous don't want us together? He makes me happy Spot." I said getting a little frustrated. I don't understand why he won't tell me.

"Cause hes not good for you!" Spot said shouting a little which made some newsies look back at us. I've never seen Spot this mad at me before, I've seen him this mad at other newsies but never at me. 

"Why isn't he?" 

"Cause hes always talking about going to Santa Fe and I don't want him going and yous getting hurt cause he just left. And hes always got girls drooling all over him and I don't want yous getting hurt from him getting involved with other girls." Spot said calming down a bit but I could still hear some frustration in his voice. He is right about the girls part I mean I've already seen Sarah drooling all over him.

"Anyways, we just need to figure out how to get Jack out of the refugee." Spot said as we finally arrived at Tibby's. "We will continue talking about this later."

We all went into Tibby's and sat down as we waited for Denton. David was reading a pape and was walking back and forth. I sat with Spot, Race, Les, Mush, and Kid Blink.  We waited a couple minutes and finally Denton walked in.

Mush got up and walked over to him to thank him for bailing us out as did a few other newsies. David then walked up to Denton with the pape. 

"Why didn't The Sun print the story?" 

"Because it never happened" Denton said as he looked around at all of the newsies.

"What do you mean it never happened?!" I asked frustrated as did some other newsies who were frustrated as well.

"If it's not in the papers, it never happened. The owners decreed it not be in the papers. But anyways, I came to tell you guys goodbye." 

"What happened? Did you get fired or something?" David asked.

"No, I got reassigned to my old job as The Sun's ace war correspondent. They want me to leave right away. The owners think I should only cover the real important stories."

We all sat there disappointed and shocked. We did all of that planning for the rally for nothing. And now Jack is in the refugee for nothing since the rally was not even covered.

Before Denton left he handed David the paper he wrote about the rally that would have gotten put in the pape. He paid for all of our food and then left. That's when David crumbled up the pape and threw it on the table. 

"We get Jack out of the refugee tonight. From now on, we trust no one but the newsies." David said to everyone as we all got up to leave. We all then walked to the lodging house where the 'Hatten newsies stayed.

"Okay we need a few people to go to the refugee. Who is going with me?" David asked.

"I will" Race said with Kid Blink following along.

"I will too" I said which made Spot look at me.

"Please Spot. I want to help get him out." I said looking at Spot with my best puppy eyes. Usually when I show my puppy eyes Spot will let me do whatever I want.

"Fine but only because I know yous and Jack won't be alone." Spot said a little irritated but I brushed it off as I was glad he agreed to let me go. It ended up being me, Mush, Race, Kid Blink, Les and David going to the refugee later on tonight. We all decided to meet back at the lodging house before we go. I'm just hoping everything goes as planned.

A/N-Thank you guys soooo much for almost 300 reads! I never thought my book would get that many. I hope you guys are enjoying this book and I'm sorry for not updating much because of school. I'll try to update tomorrow again. Thank you guys again and make sure to comment how you guys feel about this book!