Chapter 19

Spot's POV

It was starting to get dark and Avery was still not back which made me start to worry. I told her to be back before dark and she usually does. I went to Jack to see if hes seen her.

"Hey Jack yous seen Avery yet?" 

"No she not back yet? Its gettin dark" He said looking worried.

"I know, that's why Ise worried. She usually comes back before it gets dark. What if somethin bad happened to her?" I said getting more and more worried by the minute.

"Lets go look for her, shes got to be somewhere" Jack said. Even though I'm still a little mad at Jack for everything he's done I'm still glad he's concerned about her. Maybe he isn't that bad for her.

"Let me go tell the rest of da newsies so they can help too. Meet me at the front of tha lodging house" Jack said as he ran up the stairs.

I went outside and waited in front of the lodging house like Jack said. I was walking back and forth getting really worried now since it was mostly dark outside. Jack came outside with the rest of the newsies who also had concerned looks on their faces.

"Alright everyone split up and start lookin. Wes need a few people to look around here and a few to go to Harlem, Queens, and tha Bronx. Who knows how far she could have gone. Spot and I will take Brooklyn" Jack said as all the newsies called out where they were heading before leaving. Once all the newsies were gone Jack and I headed to Brooklyn.

"I hope shes okay Jack. I don't know what Ise would do without her. Shes my sista, the one I can talk to about anything. We're always there for each other and I've never been without her." I told Jack as we kept walking. I usually don't open up to people like this, in fact the only person who I have opened up to like this is Avery.

"It will be okay Spot. Wes will find her" Jack said even though he sounded just as worried as me. We finally got to the Brooklyn Bridge and we saw someone at the end of it just standing there. It was late at night and most people were not out right now. We got closer and saw it was a newsie from Harlem.

"What are you doin in Brooklyn?" I asked not in the mood to talk to anyone especially anyone from Harlem since we aren't on the best terms and just wanted to find my sister.

"Boomer wants to see ya. Pretty important so I would come if I was ya" The newsie said.

"Alright fine make it quick" I said knowing I won't be left alone if I don't go and hoping this won't take long so I can continue looking for Avery. The newsie told us to follow him as he led us to an abandon building. Once we got inside we saw Boomer, the leader of Harlem.

"What do you want Boomer?" I asked impatiently.

"Ise got somethin yous are lookin for" Boomer said with a smirk and moved to the side to reveal Avery tied to a chair and knocked out. My heart sank but I couldn't show any signs of weakness.

"Give her back Boomer" I said angrily, my hands turning into fists.

"Not before Ise get what Ise want" 

"And what would that be" Jack who was standing beside me said angrily.

"Well, Spot has to get it across his head to stop sendin his spies to Harlem and to leave me alone but now that I think about it... maybe I should take Brooklyn for myself" Boomer said with a smirk.

"Yous ain't takin Brooklyn and yous gonna give Avery back or yous will regret it" I said madder then ever. Suddenly we heard a small noise and looked over to see Avery waking up. She looked around confused before she finally saw me and Jack.

"Spot go! He's gonna hurt you!" Avery yelled as she tried to wiggle out from the rope holding her to the chair.

"Wes ain't leavin without ya!" I yelled back as I turned my attention to Boomer.

"Looks like yous ain't leavin without a fight huh Spot? Alright fine" Boomer said as he snapped his fingers which was a signal for his newsies to attack us. Jack and I were able to fight off some but there were too many compared to us. We heard a loud crash which made everyone stop and look at the doors. We saw all the Brooklyn and 'Hattan newsies at the door.

"Come on boys lets help our leaders!" Shouted Race as all the boys ran in to help. Once the boys started to help I went to find Boomer. I saw him near Avery and I grabbed Jack to help.

"Give it up Boomer, yous ain't gettin Brooklyn and yous ain't winnin this fight" 

"That's what you think Spot" Boomer said and suddenly he got hit in the face by Jack who I thought was standing beside me.

"That guy was gettin on my nerves" Jack said as he shook his hand after the hit which knocked out Boomer. We went over to Avery to untie her.

"Ise so glad yous okay" I told Avery as we hugged once she was untied. After our hug she went over to Jack and embraced him in a hug also. While they were hugging I realized that Jack isn't bad for Avery after all. He actually cares for her.

All the Harlem newsies left once they saw they were not going to win the fight. All the newsies cheered as we started to head out of the abandoned building.

"How'd yous guys know wes was here?" Jack asked as we all were leaving.

"We went to Harlem and saw that Boomer and most of his newsies weren't there except a few young ones. We got them to tell us where he was and we figured yous guys would be there too. So on the way we stopped to tell the rest of the newsies who told the others and so on" Kid Blink said.

"Well. I'm glad yous guys came and that Averys alright" Jack said as he smiled and put his arm around Avery. Avery looked at me and I just nodded which made her happier.

"Well me and tha boys are gonna go back to Brooklyn. Yous can stay with Jack if you wanna Avery but nothin betta happen tonight" I said glaring at them but deciding that maybe it wouldn't be too bad if they were together.

"Don't worry Spot nothin will, thank you! See you tomorrow!" Avery said as she came over and hugged me then ran back over to Jack. They turned to walk off 'Hattan with the rest of the newsies.

I can't believe I'm already trusting Jack again but he did prove himself tonight. I just know he better not hurt her or he will have a problem.

A/N- AHH THANK YOU GUYS FOR 1K READS AND 100 VOTES!!! I am so happy that you guys enjoy this book! I never thought I would get this many! I hope you guys enjoy this chapter and tell me what you think!