Chapter Seven

After fifty rounds of arguing with Emery about why I wouldn't let her wear her new costume to school, we finally came to a compromise. I allowed her to wear the dress, but she had to leave the wings and wig at home. It was just too special, I told her, and Harry had gone to a lot of trouble to get it for her. I didn't want it ruined before she could go trick or treating because some kid sat on her wings and crushed them, or she decided the wig was too itchy, took it off and accidentally left it.

When I got to work, Lorelei was already in the break room, a witch hat on her head. She turned to me with a look of disappointment.

"You didn't dress up!" she pouted.

"Neither did you," I scoffed, crossing the room to grab a mug from the cupboard. "A hat does not a costume make."

"I beg your pardon. I have my shawl at my desk. I'm Stevie Nicks."

I narrowed my eyes at her. "No you're not. Stevie does not wear a witch hat."

"Yes she does! On Halloween. You're the one who showed me a picture."

"Touche," I said, pouring creamer into my coffee. "But why Stevie?"

"Because I had the hat...and I couldn't think of anything else."

I laughed.

"So you got me," Lorelei shrugged. "But I did think maybe you'd dress up and we could be Sisters of the Moon."

"Do you have another hat for me?" I asked her.

"No."

"Sorry to disappoint then," I tossed the coffee stirrer in the trash.

"So did you talk to Harry last night?" she inquired as she followed me out into the hall.

"Only for a bit. He was flying out early this morning."

"Did you make plans?"

"It's still kinda up in the air right now," I sighed when I entered my office and sat in my chair. "But I think it makes the most sense if we get together Thursday evening, as long as his schedule permits."

A wide smile spread across Lorelei's face as she sat on the edge of my desk.

"Are you excited?"

I glared at her for a moment until I pursed my lips, my cheeks suddenly getting warm.

"You have no idea," I said, looking down at my lap.

"Oh, I think I do," Lorelei quipped.

I sighed. "Talking to him on the phone is one thing, Lor. I feel like we've developed this sort of...relationship. But actually being with him..."

My words trailed off as I couldn't finish the sentence. My heart seemed to beat faster at just the mere thought of seeing Harry again. I stared past Lorelei out the windows.

"Look at you all nervous," teased Lorelei. "Over a man."

I raised my brows and eyed her. "Why, have you never seen me like this before?"

"Well, yeah," she tilted her head, "the night he came over. But that was more like first date jitters. This is different."

"What would you call this?"

Lorelei pondered my question for a moment before finally settling on a shrug.

"Not sure. At least I don't wanna say yet. It might make you more nervous."

"Gee, thanks. Like that doesn't already."

"You'll be fine, Stace," she smirked, rising from my desk and walking to the door. She stopped halfway and turned around. "Be sure to pack some sexy lingerie."