Chapter Five

As soon as Lorelei and I arrived at our hotel, I was already in need of a nap and it was just barely lunch time. On the drive, I'd told Lorelei that she could pick the music, and she surprised me by saying she wanted to listen to Harry's CD which was still in my player. Though she was somewhat familiar with One Direction, she didn't really know their music, but she was curious to hear what solo Harry sounded like. By the third or fourth song, she was already lying back in her seat with an approving smile on her face.

We'd stopped once for a bathroom break and to fill up on gas, and that was when I took the opportunity to check my phone. The day before had consisted of a series of short text conversations with Harry, him telling me he had landed in Chicago, me telling him to have a good day, and him wishing me luck on my San Antonio trip. That morning I awoke to one more text which I figured he'd sent very late, after I'd gone to bed, saying he was thinking of me and missed me. I wasn't really sure how to feel about that, but I sent him a text back saying me too. So far he hadn't sent anything else.

Lorelei rolled her suitcase next to the bed she'd designated as hers and announced that we should go have lunch on the Riverwalk. Despite my arguments that I wanted to get some shut eye, she insisted we needed to eat.

I'd just ordered my food and was people watching as I sipped on my mojito when my phone alerted me of a text.

In San Antonio yet?

I smiled as I picked up my phone to reply.

Yes. Having lunch. How are you?

Great. On my way to lunch too. Just wanted to say hi.

Hi :)

I'll call you tonight. When I'm back at my hotel. If it's not too late.

Ok. I should be up. I'm actually going to take a nap after this.

Ok baby x

The texts were short and to the point, but it was the term of endearment that had me grinning like a fool, staring at my phone screen for a few more seconds.

"Earth to Stacey!" I heard somewhere in the distance. I looked up to see Lorelei with her eyes wide.

"What?" I asked, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear.

She blew out a puff of breath. "Damn, that boy has you smitten."

"Stop," I rolled my eyes, laying my phone back down on the table.

"Please. Don't tell me you didn't deliberately have your phone out, hoping he'd text you. And when he did you gawked and giggled like a teenager."

I took another sip of my cocktail. "I did not."

"Uh huh. You are a smitten kitten."

I glared at her. "Who was the one who said I should let myself be happy? Was that you? I forget."

Lorelei chuckled. "I know I did, hon. I'm not putting you down for it. I'm glad to see you like this."

I grinned sheepishly, pressing my cloth napkin flat in my lap.

"He calls me baby," I admitted.

"He does?" Lorelei leaned forward.

I nodded, nervously covering my mouth with my fist. "Is it too soon?"

Lor sat back again with a shrug. "No. I don't think so. I think it's cute."

"I mean, nobody's called me that since...Tod."

"It feels good, huh?"

I bit my lip. "Yeah."

"He's sweet."