Chapter Twenty-Seven

Harry stared at me, waiting for me to continue. I sat there with my mouth open, unable to speak.

"Baby...please?" He took my hands and rubbed the backs of them with his thumbs, but his eyes never left mine.

"I'm scared, Harry," I finally admitted.

"About what?"

"That if...if I tell you the truth...how I really feel...you won't want me anymore."

"How could I not want you, Stacey? I mean, unless you're gonna tell me you don't love me-"

"No," I shook my head. "No, I love you. I most certainly love you, Harry."

"Then what is it, baby? Please, don't be scared with me. Whatever it is, we can work through it together."

I looked down at our joined hands and felt a tear drop from my eye. I felt another coming and went to wipe it, but Harry held onto me so the tear fell on my arm. When the third dropped however, Harry let go of one of my hands and wiped my cheek with his thumb.

"Talk to me," he urged again, his green eyes so sincere.

"I guess I...I didn't exactly realize how we were living in a bubble until it burst."

Harry blinked, trying to understand my words. "You mean after the paps and the press got word of you?"

"Not just that," I shrugged. "Although that's part of it."

"I tried to explain, love, that's part of who I am. It's not going away as long as I'm...doing what I'm doing."

"Yes, and I understand that," I sniffled with a nod. "I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. It might take some getting used to, but I think I could handle it."

"Then...I don't get it. What's the matter?"

I felt the tears threatening to fall again, but I blinked several times and swallowed them back. With a shaky breath, I continued.

"Do you like kids, Harry?"

Harry raised his brows. "What?"

"I mean...I know I've seen photos of you with kids. Some younger fans, friends' babies. You've met mine and were really sweet to them. But...do you really truly like kids?"

Harry shifted his gaze away from me, then gave an incredulous nod and shrug.

"Yeah. I do. Kids are great. But what does that have to do with anything?"

"I have kids, Harry. I have two. And they are everything to me."

"Of course they are," he agreed. "They're wonderful, and you're a wonderful mum."

Letting a deep breath out through my nose, I hesitated. "I'm afraid I wasn't completely honest before."

"When?" asked Harry.

"When I had that heart to heart talk with your mother."

Harry frowned. "The baggage comment? She told me she apologized, that she hadn't meant it the way you took it."

"I know," I nodded. "At first I was hurt by the comment. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized she was right."

"Stacey..." he said, reaching for me, but I resisted.

"Please. Hear me out. You wanted me to talk."

With a sigh, Harry sat back in his chair, his expression different from when we'd started the conversation. He looked worried, but also a bit perturbed.