Chapter Six

Since I didn't have to be back home until 2:30 when Jasmine got home from school, Lorelei and I slept in and ordered room service for breakfast before heading out on the road. We'd received a group text from our agent Kris, informing us that we'd nearly doubled the sales from the Houston book signing, and she was eager to book us for a longer tour, possibly starting with Dallas, but she'd let us know the details before the end of the day on Friday. I reminded her that if at all possible, I'd rather not start until Wednesday since Tuesday was Halloween and I wanted to be with my kids. She said she understood and would do all she could.

When I arrived home, I quickly unpacked and dropped a load of laundry in the washer to get it out of the way. Then I made a cup of coffee and sat on the sofa with my phone. I hadn't talked to Harry since the texts the night before, and I was anticipating at least one new one or perhaps a voicemail, but I was a little disappointed when I found nothing.

Deciding it was still early, I sent him a short message saying I hoped he was having a good day. Then I texted Tod to ask how Jasmine's doctor's appointment had gone. I was relieved when he said it went fine, just an increase in pill dosage, and that she'd been smiling that morning when she left on the school bus.

The girls were both happy to see me when they got home that afternoon, and we all sat in front of the TV and ate ice cream and watched SpongeBob before they both retreated to their rooms while I prepared dinner.

I wasn't sure why, but I found myself checking my phone every ten minutes, hoping to see Harry's name pop up. I laughed at myself and shook my head. I was being ridiculous. It hadn't even been twenty-four hours and already I was expecting some sort of reassurance. So I'd had the nightmare, big deal. He didn't know anything about it for one thing, and he definitely didn't know how it had thrown me for a loop. Plus, he was busy. In fact, I didn't even know exactly where he was - if he was still in Chicago or had left already for another city.

After dinner I was trying to distract myself by watching a sitcom when I heard my phone ping on the table. Lorelei.

Hey look at your boy.

Underneath was a link to an online article titled Boy Band Star Goes Solo. I rolled my eyes at the term but tapped on the link anyway, muting the TV and sitting back to read it. The subtitle was more encouraging: Former One Direction Singer Harry Styles Creates The Album The World Has All Been Waiting For.

Duh! Of course! The album was coming out the next day. I was an idiot; I'd completely forgotten about the release date. I'd already spent nearly two weeks enjoying the album in private. Now the rest of the word was going to hear it.

That was why I hadn't heard from him. Of course he would have been busy all day.

Rolling my eyes once again, but this time at myself for being such a dimwit, I read the positive article. By the end, my cheeks hurt from smiling so much. It was a rave review. I was so incredibly proud.

I was about to reply to Lorelei when I noticed at the bottom of the page was a link to something else about Harry. Clicking on it, I saw a collage of photos, all from various stages of his career. The young photos made me giggle, the more recent ones made me swoon. Goodness, he was a looker.

The bottom of that page, however, took me to something I immediately wished I hadn't seen.

Harry Styles In Chicago With New Girlfriend? read the caption. Girlfriend?

I inspected the handful of photos. To anyone it would look as though he was out shopping. He was standing by a counter, he was outside on the sidewalk, he was laughing. Nothing out of the ordinary. But it was the final word that made my stomach flip. In all of the photos, he was standing next to a female. I couldn't see much more than her profile, but she was definitely pretty. And in the final photo, they were embracing.