Chapter 27:4

"We're not the pure-blood twins, Professor," said Fred dispiritingly. "We weren't born as one boy. Zonko told us that his brother —"

"Zonko and Wonky Goosefeather? The known pranksters?" said Dumbledore, with a chuckle. "You should listen instead to someone who was there on the day of your birth." He peered at them knowingly. "You were born as one boy. Your name was Fred George Weasley. And then, to the delight of every man, woman, and child, you became two — Fred and George," he said, his voice enchanting. "It is true. Some unknown magic that resides deep within you created a twin. It is sorcery unlike anything I have ever witnessed...a natural, inherent magic that, like the pair of you, is both brilliant and unpredictable. Fred and George, you two are quite extraordinary. Even if the harshest corners of our world look upon your birth as an elaborate joke, prophecy is prophecy. Which is why you must take caution around the others," he said, suddenly serious. "Those who believe your amazing feat of magic on the first of April, twelve years ago, is the advent of something with great significance. There are many prophecies about twins, and only a few about twins who come from such a pure bloodline, as your own."

"That bloke on Knockturn Alley," Fred recalled. "He wouldn't let us leave his shop that day."

"He was a complete nutter," said George.

"Even so, we will have many years together, young Weasleys. We can discuss such things at great length when you are older. The prophecies may be true, and if you continue to surprise us with abilities that no one other than yourselves can detect, well..." he paused to reflect admirably down at them, "you may yet make a believer out of this tired old man."

Some commotion could be heard from the corridor. Moments later, they were greeted by Millicent Bagnold, the Minister of Magic, under the wide brim of her outrageously tall witch's hat. She swept elegantly into the room with Dandy by her side. Fred and George waved feebly at the High Elf, understanding now why he had once been so ashamed to tell them the truth.

"So, these must be the infamous Weasley twins," said the Minister, before shaking her head absently. "What am I saying? Of course, you are. Look at you. Well done, boys. Very well done. You have played a significant role in discovering a powerful and important wizard, as well as assisting in — the other matter — which we've no need to discuss."

The Minister meandered over to their beds and patted each of them awkwardly on the foot.

"I know that you boys have had your fun this year. And, in my opinion, which doesn't hold much weight these days, as long as the prank was in good fun, and no one was harmed..." She broke to add weight to her point, "then I see nothing wrong with it. Just don't get too elaborate," Bagnold warned with a smirk. "Now, Albus, might I have a word?"

"I am at your disposal, as always, Madam Minister."

Professor Dumbledore joined her at Dandy's side and nodded his goodbye to Fred and George.

"Before you go, Headmaster, we have another question," said George, sharing their unspoken concerns.

Fred nodded introspectively. "What is a Merry Andrew, sir?"

"A...Merry Andrew? Why would you ask?"

"It was in the article," said George, reaching for the Daily Prophet. "That Undersecretary used the term."

"Dolores Umbridge," Fred explained.

"Is it supposed to mean something nasty?"

"The Marauders mentioned it, too."

"And Professor Binns."

"Professor Parsimonae said it, as well."

Dumbledore smiled comfortably and shook his head. "A Merry Andrew is just a seeker of jokes, boys. No need to fret," he said kindly. "Do make a point of eating as soon as you're able. You need to feed those new bodies of yours."

The wise headmaster gave them another wink before departing the hospital wing. In the corridor, Professor Dumbledore looked down contemplatively at Dandy, the house-elf, who was too ashamed to meet his gaze.

"Will you be accompanying us to my office, Dandy? I so enjoy listening to your stories. Perhaps you can tell Millicent the one about —"

"Indeed, Albus Dumbledore is too kind," said the house-elf meekly. "Might Dandy ask a request of you?"

"Go on."

"When will Dandy be receiving the just punishment for his crimes, sir? The headmaster should make an example of me, indeed."

Dumbledore chuckled and got down to one knee, his luxurious blue robe gathering in folds at their feet. "Dandy, you know much about magic, correct?"

"Indeed," said the house-elf speedily.

"Have you heard of Legilimency?"

"That is the power to extract truth from another mind, sir."

"Precisely. Do you believe me capable of reading your mind, if I so desired?"

"Indeed, you can. Indeed!" he replied expediently. "Albus Dumbledore is the soundest spell-caster in all of Wizendom."

Dumbledore gazed up at the Minister who gave a pert smile.

"Then you would also trust that, often times, one can learn the heart of an individual by seeking sincerity in their eyes. You, Dandy, have captivating eyes," he said, admiring the bright green orbs that stared up at him adoringly. "Eyes that are filled with loyalty, goodness, and generosity. You have no need to tell me what took place in the past, or even in the Great Hall while we were indisposed within the Pensieve. I see you clearly, Dandy, and I know that you would never do anything to disobey those very admirable traits upon which you stand."

Dandy's saucer-like eyes misted over, until a plump, wet tear trickled down his wrinkled gray face. "Albus Dumbledore truly is the greatest wizard of all time. Indeed. Merciful, beyond measure. But Dandy would like to make one final request."

"Go right ahead."

"Might I still be punished, sir?"

He laughed heartily. "If you feel it is necessary, then you may seek out whatever punishment you deem sufficient. How is that?"

Dandy looked away for a moment, and then nodded resolutely. "Oh! I know just the thing, Professor Dumbledore! Dandy will think twice before crossing you again." He stepped out of his over-sized oxford shoes and handed them up to the headmaster, his voice faltering. "These wonderful and, indeed, glorious shoes are NOT to be returned to my feet until the start of next term!"

Dumbledore received the shoes dutifully, and faked a very serious expression, as Dandy strode off, his mouth in a terrible frown, but his enormous eyes smiling.