Chapter 11:3

Fred and George arrived at the door of the Great Hall a few minutes late, yet again. George rubbed the sleep out of his eyes and reached for the Marauder's Map.

"Let's find where Lee and Cedric are sitting. Maybe we can sneak in undetected."

Yawning, Fred leaned over to inspect the array of dots in the hall. Being so exhausted, the twins hadn't noticed the very important dot that had been closing in on them since they had arrived.

"Staying out of the Dungbombs, I expect?"

The boys froze. As discreetly as possible, Fred slipped the map into his supplies and turned to face their headmaster. Albus Dumbledore was peering down at them with measured consideration. He blinked serenely and took a long step forward.

"I believe congratulations are in order. The third...and fourth Weasley to make the house team, as I recall." The twins nodded, their faces locked in matching blank expressions. "It is a dangerous game, Quidditch. And quite a substantial responsibility." He paused and gazed down at the lump in George's robe where the invisibility cloak was tucked away unseen. "I have often found that a mindful action can fend off the fiercest opponents. Do be mindful, Fred and George. Darkness seldom conceals itself in shadow."

Professor Dumbledore glided past them and into the Great Hall, leaving the boys to interpret his cryptic remarks. Dazed, George spoke first.

"Do you think he knows?"

"About the map?" Fred responded in a breathy whisper.

"No, the invisibility cloak," said George.

"How could he?"

George lifted his robe. "He looked right at it, Fred. He knows we've got it."

"Well, he didn't ask for it back, did he? And with all that responsibility nonsense, maybe he's all right with us nicking it from his office."

"Yeah, maybe. He mentioned darkness and shadows as well." George's concerned expression gradually lifted to a look of pure admiration. "The stuff he knows. Blimey, he'd be good in a fight."

From inside the Great Hall, Charlie spotted the twins lingering bewilderedly in the corridor and left to fetch them. The boys saw their brother coming and hung their heads.

"Sorry, Charlie," said George.

"Yeah, we were just havin' a chat with Dumbledore," Fred added.

Charlie tried not to look troubled as he led them inside. "Don't worry yourselves. If he's on you about the Shrieking Shack, I'll take the blame, right?"

Fred and George were about to tell him not to worry, but they were caught up in how the Great Hall had been rearranged to look like a classroom fit for a thousand. There were rows upon rows of iron-legged chairs, each equipped with a polished wood table that fastened at the back for the student seated behind. On they stretched, from the double doors to the podium. Ravenclaws in front, Hufflepuffs second, then Gryffindors. None were surprised that Slytherin House had taken the desks furthest from the instructor.

When Charlie ushered them down their row, Angelina quickly switched chairs with Alicia Spinnet so she wouldn't inadvertently be seated next to George Weasley, though it was hard to tell them apart from a distance. As Lee waved them over, a scroll collided with the back of his head, courtesy of Tenice Montague. Charlie was the first to react, readying himself to charge over the desks. After their trick with the scarecrows, he was primed to strike back. Colum Briers stood next, followed by Simon Graham and Shep Quarter, who was cracking his knuckles in preparation. Then, of all people, Percy stood to quell the storm.

"Charles, please be seated," he said mildly. "We have house points to consider."

When another scroll connected, this time with Percy's shoulder, he merely sat and resumed his perfect posture, declining to react. Shep forced their Captain to sit, and the twins could see the disappointment on Charlie's face, both in their brother and in his inability to pulverize the Slytherin team. Fred and George glared at Montague and Meaney, who were imitating Percy's reaction.

"That was a good throw," said Fred grudgingly.

"They're lucky we don't like him very much," added George.

Flint and Parsimonae were soon laughing at something in their laps. And when they were just about to allow Blithe to throw a bundle of inky quills at Charlie, Denorda Montague shoved them into their seats. The headmaster was moving toward the podium and, despite their disrespect for the other houses, no one dared disgrace Albus Dumbledore.

 The headmaster was moving toward the podium and, despite their disrespect for the other houses, no one dared disgrace Albus Dumbledore