Chapter 3:1

RAMKINS MAGICAL ODDITIES

"I know you've come with us to Diagon Alley to buy supplies before today, but since you boys are allowed to roam freely this year, I'm asking that you stay on the right path," Arthur Weasley instructed from the doorway of the twins' bedroom. "Absolutely no wandering off, am I understood?"

"Why not?" Fred breathed from the window.

Swaying in place, their father seemed cautious about answering. "Because...Diagon Alley is not as safe as it may appear."

"But why?" asked George from the bed, pouting.

"It is the busiest this time of year, and everyone is preparing their students for school. And some of the shops cater to — er — a less than reputable crowd of wizards."

"But why?"

"Boys, please don't —"

"Why?" they asked in unison.

Arthur closed his eyes and pushed out a smile. "It truly is wonderful to see how connected you've become, but will you please use your ears and not your mouths for once? I'm a tad concerned that you may be met with some interest by other members of the magical community. There is some nonsense out there about the two of you and...this may become apparent when you enter the shops alone."

"Nonsense? Like what?" inquired George with sudden interest.

"You are twins from a magically pure bloodline, which means that you're special. In fact, there are some wizards who believe you are perhaps even more special than the other students entering Hogwarts. They may treat you both differently, you see?"

"They treat George differently all the time. What with that colossal hump on his back," said Fred insightfully. At this, George screwed up his face and began clawing at his shoulder.

Mr. Weasley adjusted his glasses to mask a wry smile. "And what have we said about Knockturn Alley if either of you wind up there unintentionally?"

Fred said, "Find the other twin and double back?"

Then George crowed, "Find someone to remove the hump on my back?"

"Find Percy a shrunken head?"

"Find someone who will shrink Percy's head?"

Half-laughing, their father held up his hands in defeat. "Merlin's shirtsleeve, it never ends with you two. Just keep your distance. Do not speak to anyone or visit any of the shops on Knockturn Alley. Your mother will have your heads."

"Shrunk?" George asked.

"Shrunken?" Fred inquired at the same time.

"Two minutes alone with you and I'm beat. No wonder Molly is losing her dear mind."