Timeless Chp. 6

"The simulation works by stimulating the portion of our brains responsible for releasing fear hormones, like adrenaline. This is in the amygdala, which sends a signal to the hippocampus and pituitary gland, which releases the hormones. It's quite complicated, but we don't need to know exactly how it works, as long as it does. Our imagination is responsible for the creation of the specific fears, which are almost always drawn from our memories and other events that we have experienced. Our brain needs to explain this fear instinct that it is forced to undergo, so it creates a scene according to things that it draws from memories. This is where we get our specific fears, and why the simulations are so individualized. When the computer sees you have completed a fear, it administers a suppressant to the amygdala." Four pauses, looking at Shauna and me. I'm absolutely enthralled by this, but she leans back in her chair, looking slightly confused. "In the case of the fears landscape, the computer administers a slight shock to the portion of the brain responsible for registering change when you have completed a fear, causing the scene to change. When your brain runs out of fearful memories vivid enough to draw upon, the simulation ends. Make sense?" he says, crossing his arms. I nod, easily grasping the information that my mother taught me in some detail a few years back. "Sure." Shauna says slightly sarcastically. Her reluctance to learn is slightly annoying. But, he said it himself; we don't need to fully understand it. But I do, because I'm just as much Erudite as Dauntless. I'll have to look into it more, because it's fascinating. It's also a little unnerving, that they can control us so easily simply by manipulating our brains. It would only take a bit of change to the chemicals in order to make us stay in the simulation for as long as they wanted. Or to control our actions by suppressing our capable thoughts. Making us like robots. I shudder internally at the thought of my mother controlling an army like that. "It used to be that a strong stimulant was administered, one that didn't even allow room for an individual fear. Just blind terror. They would give that to the initiates a few times, just so they would get used to fear." he continues. Shauna shakes her head, and I wrinkle my brow. That would be awful. To not even know what was scaring you? "But we changed it. To be more instructional. More individualized. If you ask me, it's much better." He says, shrugging. I nod. Shauna sighs. I give her a look. Then Four starts to ramble about some computer administrations or something and my mind starts to wander. The topic is obvious. Zeke.

I feel tense around him now. It's so strange, to even think about having any doubts about us. And Tori. She nags at the back of my mind. I don't think she's going to take well to me being there while Zeke talks to her. She'll probably blatantly refuse that she's done anything wrong, and say that I'm being controlling. And as much as I doubt it would happen, Zeke might start to believe her. Which is the opposite of what we need right now. So I'll probably keep my distance. Of course I'll watch. But I don't need to be in the same room, as hard as it is to let my control freak side take a break. But he has to know I trust him. "Cal!" Four yells, about 5 inches from my face. I just about fall out of my chair. He stands back a bit, crossing his arms. Shauna is quite obviously suppressing a laugh. I glare at her. "What's going on in there?" Four says, tapping his head with one finger. I tilt my chin up slightly "A complex process of chemicals and electricity working together to form these words. But it isn't that important." I say, smirking slightly. He frowns "I could do without the snarkiness Cal. And if it happens again, it better be pretty damn important." I sigh, leaning back as Shauna turns red with effort to not laugh. I see instructor Four has returned. Sometimes he's relaxed and fun. And other times, he's like this. I need to get better at recognizing which is which. "We're done for today." He says, waving a hand and walking off. Shauna finally takes her hands off of her mouth. We stare one look and both burst into laughter. "Better be important!" Four yells from down the hall. We go quiet for a moment, but then laugh again, only quieter this time.

I decide to go sit on the roof of the compound after dinner. I need to clear my head. I've just been stressed lately. Between Zeke and Tori and my job, my head is just racing all of the time. And the air never fails to blow it all away, at least for a bit. The wind blows strongly up here. It brings back memories. From initiation, mostly. The train jump was terrifying, but I like it. The same goes for the roof jump, and the zip line, and every other Dauntless thing I've done. That train was where I met Zeke and Shauna. But, it was also where I met Tyson. I haven't thought about him in quite a while. Is he suffering as a member of the factionless? Probably. Is he plotting revenge on me? Almost definitely. Will he be back? I have no doubt about it. The only question is when. He's probably killed a few more people, just to practice. I can't forget what he said as the guards dragged him away. He will come back for me. I shiver, and not from the wind. My eyes drift to the edge of the roof. The net is still at the bottom, it always is. To my knowledge, anyways. It couldn't hurt to jump again, could it?

I walk to the edge, my hair whipping around my face. It's a long way to the bottom. But I've done it before. It wasn't so bad then. I take a deep breath and start to take a step forward. But a firm hand grasps my arms, wrenching me backwards. I spin around, ripping myself free and standing defensively toward whoever is there. I relax as soon as I see it's only Zeke. But his face is disbelieving and fearful. Confused, and scared. "What are you doing Cal?!" he half yells, his voice taunt and stressed. I look at him raising an eyebrow. "I'm jumping onto the net! What is the problem here?" I say, confused. He suddenly pulls me into a tight hug. I feel a bit squashed for a moment, and very confused, until he whispers "The net is on the other side."

A/N: Way to go Cal, almost killed yourself:) Slap dat vote button if you enjoyed, drop a comment, and stay Dauntless:)

-Argo