three

"YOU SEEM extra cheery today," my mom commented as she thinly sliced some apples on the island counter. "You've been smiling at your cereal for five minutes. I find it really weird."

        Usually, I would have rolled my eyes, but at that time, I giggled at her comment instead. She nodded twice with scrunched eyebrows and added, "yep. Definitely weird."

        "Ma," I dragged, rolling my eyes while the smile was still plastered on my face, "can't you just appreciate my cheeriness?" I took my bowl as I stood up and walked over to the sink.

        "Not unless you tell me what's going on, missy," she stated.

        "If you insist," I spoke as I picked up the sponge and washed my bowl. "I made a friend yesterday, I think," I added. The intense green eyes I had come to know appeared in my head. A smile crept up again.

        "Ooh, and who may this be?" She questioned in a teasing voice. Placing my bowl on the drying rack, I turned to lean on the sink.

        "Don't be weird, Ma," I sighed as I folded my arms. "It's Autumn."

        "Honey, we've gone over this several times. The season is called Fall, not Autumn," she quipped back as she cut the last slice of the apple. I laughed and palmed my face.

        "My god, Ma. I wasn't talking about the season! That's actually her name."

        "Oh! Well, that's a wonderful name. What's she like?"

        "She's taller than me. Older as well, I think. I met her at the park a week and a half ago but we talked some more yesterday," I reminisced, placing a finger on the corner of my lips and biting it gently. "She also works at the pub down Stafford. The Grove. Really pretty and interesting. I think you'd like her."

        "Well, it sounds like you already do," my mom mumbled and coughed under her breath as she turned around to place the cutting board and the knife in the sink.

        "What?" I quipped back, caught off guard with what she said.

        "Nothing!" She chuckled, tapping my nose. Turning around, she picked up her bowl of apples and trudged towards the dining table. "Could you wash that for me, please?" I obeyed. "And you should probably head to school soon. You're going to be late."

        "Alright, Ma," I called back. With a quick wash, I placed the items on the drying rack and kissed my mom on the cheek goodbye.

        My school was about an eight-minute walk away. Sometimes, my mom would drive me, but only if she was not taking her time cutting her daily apples. An apple a day keeps the doctors away, she would always say when I was younger. She gradually stopped as I got older, eventually doing so when I became a junior last school year.

        Entering the back doors of the school, I was met with a bump into another human. Mumbling a sorry, I continued down the hallway.

        "Winter," the person breathed out in a surprised tone, which had me stopping in my tracks. I would know that voice anywhere. Turning around, I looked up at the familiar blue eyes. I hugged my school binder tightly.

        "Amanda," I mumbled in the same tone.

        She cleared her throat and straightened up, flicking her hair back. I took her appearance in, noticing the vibrant pink clothing and purse, as well as the heels. When I got back up to her face, my eyes landed on the cursed stick hanging off her lips. She must have realized that I noticed it because she took it off her mouth and hid it behind her.