Chapter 27 - Requiem for the Living

Start from the beginning

“A man with a love for fire,” Ram said, catching Reyna’s attention again. She didn’t know why he was saying these “stories”, but she let it go, hoping to find answers at the end.

“A love for setting people on fire in their homes. I believe he would tie them together. Families of course. All of them back to back and drenched in gasoline and then whoosh!” Ram said and his hands went up in demonstration. He laughed. “But he died too, Sister. Caught within his own flames. His potential was incredible. It was another level.”

The greyness crowded around them, flattening in some places and sharpening in others until Reyna realized they were forming walls. They towered around them, shaping hallways like a maze. The hazy fog swirled in place like constricted storm clouds.

Ram was unfazed by what happened. “There was another story, but you already know that one.” He held his hand up to her. “Shall we go then?”

“Go?” Reyna gazed around. “Where? Where are we now?”

His face wrinkled into what appeared as genuine sadness. “I can’t tell you, Reyna. At least not now.”

Her eyes darted from his face to the grey that surrounded them and then up to the endless white above them. She shook her head, bewildered as she faced him. “I don’t understand. Am I even alive?”

He laughed and Reyna swore the darkness around his face danced. “Of course you are alive, Sister,” he said and grabbed her hand before she could protest, “but we have to go now.”

She allowed him to pull her through the dark corridors. As they walked, Reyna’s thoughts replayed what she had seen last before coming to this place—whatever and wherever it was. Rage and pain blistered her heart as she remembered what Blethinette did.

That bitch killed Jean and Abran. We had just rescued them and they died at the hands of the very woman leading the army that killed their families and destroyed their home. How could this have happened?

“Here we go,” Ram said with cheer in his voice.

Reyna looked up to see there were in an enormous, empty room. The grey walls around them smoothed out into a dome, but as they climbed up, the ceiling blended with the whiteness until it disappeared. When they stepped inside, the opening behind them closed. Other people were filing into the room as well, entrances closing behind them. There were each led by a marked Ram that disappeared once the escorts entered the room. Reyna, confused, looked up to the Ram standing next to her.

He smiled down at her. “I personally went to greet you. These others were only projections of myself. You know I love you most, Sister.”

She shivered and pulled her hand out of his grip. 

“Reyna!”

She looked up, the familiar voice warming her, to see Dante. Relief flooded her and propelled her legs into a run. She smashed into his hard chest, but she didn’t care. Her arms wrapped around him, fingers gripping the back of his shirt.

“Reyna?” he said. She could hear the confusion in his voice.

“Just hug me back,” she mumbled into his chest.

His arms came around her and she welcomed the squeezing comfort.

“Aww. Well ain’t ya two cute?” Gahn’s teasing voice said.

The two parted and turned to see him grinning at them. Normally, Reyna would’ve punched him, but the joy of seeing him healed and alive overcame her. He had been half conscious when she last saw him, bones exposed through charred flesh, but now he appeared whole.