Chapter 18 - Morbid Homecoming

18.

Morbid Homecoming

“Niet Gahn regressus?” Anna asked.

She had run into the living room from her usual hiding spot in the hallway. She stood looking at Verden as much as her little neck would allow her.

“Niet Gahn regressus?” she repeated, her eyes glossy.

“Sorry,” Diorela said, appearing into the room as well. “She used her Magika on me.”

She grabbed the little girl’s hand and gently tugged her to return with her, but Anna refused to move.

“Anna,” Verden spoke in a firm voice.

Her teary eyes met his just as a single tear ran down her cheek.

His face softened but he said nothing.

It was enough for Anna. She lowered her head and grasped Diorela’s hand tighter.

“Come on,” Diorela whispered and placed her other hand on the girl’s black locks.

“Despues,” Verden promised as they walked away.

Anna nodded but kept her head bowed as Diorela guided her away from the room.

Verden watched the two until they entered the hallway and then turned back to the seated Reyna and Dante.

“Is she okay?” Reyna asked. “What did she say?”

Verden crossed his arms. He seemed more irritated at the recollection of Anna’s words instead of Reyna’s questions. “She asked about Gahn. She wanted to know if he was coming back.”

“Oh.” Reyna looked down.

Dante ran a hand through his saggy hair. “Yeah, well like we said earlier, he left with Auronmar. We came back on our own.”

“That is obvious,” Verden said, “but I want to know why.”

“Why?”

“Yes. Why? Why return here? What do you wish to accomplish?”

“We want to help,” Reyna said. “I don’t know how but there has to be a way. We…”

“We know staying with Auronmar won’t get us any answers,” Dante picked up. “He never told us anything about the war. He wouldn’t let us do anything to help.”

Verden stared at them with cold eyes. “Help in what way?”

The two were silent.

“Help take care of what’s left at least,” Reyna spoke. “We can at least help Anna, Diorela, and Michael.”

Dante nodded. “Yeah. We can at least help here.”

Verden’s eyes weren’t as icy. “Are you sure you wish to aid me?”

“Yes,” they said together.

“Then I’m going to need you to get more food.”

They stared at the half demon, baffled.

Verden’s grin was a bit of a tease but also sincere. “Don’t you look at me like that. If you want to stay here, we are going to need more food to settle you in.”

“From where?” Dante asked.

“Your human world franchise and grocery stores may no longer exist, but there are animals that roam about you can catch.”

“Um. I thought you just made the food appear out of nowhere like this house and the stuff in it,” Reyna said. “I know Diorela told me you were on a food run when she got attacked, but I didn’t think it was literal. I thought you were just on a random errand.”