Chapter 7 - It's Like an Infection

The man who sat in front of Dr Poole was trembling, covered in newly torn scars. He was Poole's least favourite subject.

"Evening, 0290."

"You know, a few months ago there was a time you addressed me as Dr Lockwood. As your superior."

Poole grimaced at Lockwood. "Know this, Harry. I hate you. The time where I feared you has long since passed." He yelled through his teeth, saliva spraying onto the man opposite him.

There was a moment of silence as Poole calmed himself.

"You're going to answer my questions and then go back to your cell without speaking a word of this to anyone. If you fail to comply I will eject you into the lower levels. You'll be stuck with Subject 1244. Are we clear?"

Lockwood nodded, fearfully. His limbs shaking more and more as he felt his fate sealing up.

"My file, the file that you wrote, is restricted." Dr Poole growled as he stood and "Do you know why that is?"

"Yes."

"Then tell me, maybe I won't gut you."

"If I tell you then Dr Jeoffery will instead!" Pleaded Mr Lockwood, his eyes beginning to water. The tears turning red as they picked up the fresh blood on his face.

"I guess your options are pretty limited, then."

Lockwood frowned as he began to shake in fear, seeing no way out of his situation.

"You're a type Negative Constant."

"So? Being a Constant is normal."

"You don't understand. We are the only iteration of Lynch.co that have you. Across all of the dimensions that exist you are only apparent in this one." Spoke Lockwood, his voice now shaking to match his body. "You have no idea how many laws of physics you break just by existing. Negative Constant's were only theorised before you became a subject."

Dr Poole seemed to calm slightly as Lockwood spoke to him. "So what does this mean for me?"

"You're immune to almost everything. It's probably how you survived in the Wood-Scape for so long." Replied Lockwood, shivering with increasing intensity with the more he revealed. "So the CEO had me create something to control you, a machine. Something that would destroy your emotions and make you obedient to him.

"It's in the back of your neck, I doubt you will have noticed."

Poole felt the back of his neck, sure enough, his fingers ran across an unnatural lump. It was too subtle for him to notice when lying down, how could they have done this to him? How could he not remember when they implanted it within him? Poole felt a sudden rush of rage and betrayal as the realisation set in.

"Get out of my office."

——————PRESENT DAY——————

Red felt Reno's pulse.

Nothing.

"Get PAI to call a fucking ambulance!" He yelled, tears beginning to stream down his face.

Sasha was still panicking, her punch was so hard her fist was now bruised and cut deeply. She pulled PAI out of her pocket, cringing as he wounds brushed against her trouser pocket.

"He will be okay, I promise." PAI spoke, his voice somehow sounding desperate.

"Why the fuck should we trust you on this? It's your fault that I did this to him, if Red hadn't had picked you up then Reno wouldn't be fucking dead!" Sasha yelled back, PAI did not reply.