TWENTY-ONE: AVOIDANCE

Start from the beginning

I smiled back at him, scratching at my stubble, "The least I could do for you." I looked at him, suppressing grin when I realised how childlike he managed to look when he was drowsy from just waking up. His hair was sticking up in different angles at the back of his head and his eyes were not as aware as he would look. The Heath I've seen and grown used to was always well put together and always alert. This was drastically different. "Your fridge is empty. I mean, there's really nothing useful in there." I commented when Heath didn't say anything. The silence in this house can be quite deafening.

Heath grunted in response, stretching in his chair, "Yeah, I don't need anything. I really only need the fridge for beer and cheese. And ice, of course." He winked as he nodded at the racks of wines and spirits he had.

I shook my head disapprovingly, "I'll have to shop for some groceries if I'm going to stay here any longer than a day. I can't live on cheese, beer and ice."

Heath looked stunned for a moment, before he straightened up on his chair, "Erm, yeah. I see. Right, I don't want to be strict with you, 'cause really, who am I to be strict with you, but try not to head out on your own, alright? If you head anywhere, drop me a text so I can get you." He tried to look as apologetic as he could.

I frowned at Heath for a few moments, before I remembered that Jared probably instructed him to keep an eye on me and it wasn't Heath's fault, "I was planning to shop for groceries later." I informed him.

"That's just around the corner, right?" He sipped on the cup of coffee I had out for him, smiling when he realised that I had made it the way he liked. Two sugars. Heath didn't like milk in his coffee besides his obvious love for dairy in the form of cheese.

"Yeah." I pinched the bridge of my nose. I could feel a slight throbbing of a headache building. I didn't get much sleep at all last night, and from all the crying I've been doing in the past few days, it was starting to physically take a toll on me.

"That's fine then. The passcode for the apartment is-" Heath stopped short and cleared his throat, "I'll change it to your birthdate so you won't forget. Just text me when you leave the house and when you get back." Heath said, stretching as he picked up his tablet and started scrolling on it.

I nodded, hating that even here I have to report to someone who was not a significant other. I reminded myself that Jared was not a significant other, and still I reported to him. Was this just a pattern in my life? If so, I really need to do something about it. I needed to take charge of my life, take the lead and stop going with the flow.

Heath seemed to pick up on my thoughts despite his attention on his table, and he offered a sad smile, "I won't restrict you. But if you're gone for too long. I will need to check up on you." He ran his finger through his dishevelled hair with his free hand, "It's for your safety. Now that you are a part of the Family..." He trailed off in expectation that I understood his meaning.

"I understand." Of course I did. I did wish that Jared would explain his intentions to me like Heath was doing, instead of acting like the cave man that he typically was. At least in this way, I feel like my feelings was being considered here.

Heath smiled charmingly, before he turned back to his tablet, "You managed to get any sleep last night?" He asked, nodding to the couch, where I've already folded up the duvet neatly on one side of the couch, leaving the side with the work table empty so that Heath could sit there if he needed to.

I startled for a moment, before I placed my hand over my racing heart. I considered telling him the truth that I was worn out and lacking sleep, but thought better of it, "Erm, yeah. I did. Thanks." I swallowed the water in my mug that I poured for myself, "You?"