Chapter Thirteen: Black And Blue

Start from the beginning

Silvia's face instantly dropped, washed over with a numb expression. "I don't know what you're talking about." Her voice was monotone and harsher than before, as if daring the woman to continue... and she did.

"S.T.A.R Labs represents the forefront of metahuman research. Lying is a waste of time." Her brown eyes stared at Silvia, unintimidated and unblinking. "I've seen similar compounds in few others...but this variation was unstable and volatile. The kind of thing that was made in a garage rather than a lab. I'm sure you're aware of its poor quality."

Brow darkening, Silvia pushed out of the bed and begun gathering her things. Her back was turned to the woman for a long time, hiding the anger that flashed across her face. "That's none of your business."

"The moment you were brought here it became my business."

"Then the moment I leave it won't be." Silvia snapped back, yanking her costume from a nearby bench and beginning to march out.

"There's nothing we can do to counter it anyway." The woman called out behind her, determined to get a few words in before Silvia's departure. "But destroying your body for some delusion of power never ends well. I just hope that in future you accept that not everyone was born to be super... and that's not a bad thing. Altering your genetic make-up for a few enhanced abilities was foolish."

Finally, Silvia stopped and glared over her shoulder. Her blue eyes were no longer tranquil. The silver sheen had disappeared like metal melting in a furnace. "You know nothing about me." She hissed, tone laced with fury. The idea that anyone could think she'd do this to herself... It disgusted her.

Once outside the weather contradicted her emotions. Metropolis overflowed with generous sunshine and warmth, all sweetness and brilliant unfettered golden rays. However, this changed drastically the moment she returned to Southside. It was dark, brooding, resisting the sun, threatening to bring down a storm with every ounce of power at its disposal.

Silvia made it inside before she had time to care whether it would start raining or not. She limped in, holding her side with shaky breaths. Her other injuries seemed all but gone... This one was taking longer than most.

She had just sat down, groaning at the uncomfortable couch that did nothing to soothe her pain, when there was a knock on the door. Nothing could describe the sheer annoyance that covered her face. Why would someone visit her? She barely knew anyone.
And now of all times... A growl formed deep in Silvia's throat but curiosity compelled her to open the door.

When she did she was surprised but relief washed over her after weeks of worrying. "Clark..." She said, voice breathy and hollow. "What are you doing here? I thought you were in Smallville..."

"Guess I had to come back at some stage, right?" Clark joked, adjusting his glasses. "Can I come in?"

Silvia, who had been using the door to hide behind, pulled it further open without thinking it through.

"How did you know I was in Smallville, Miss Stone?" Clark asked as he stepped into the apartment.

"Oh... Your boss told me..." Silvia lied, hoping that it would suffice... When Clark didn't deny his boss ever knowing about his trip home she figured that he believed her.

"Perry? When did you see-" The man trailed off the moment he turned to face her, stepping forward just as Silvia forced the door closed. "W-Wow, hey, are you alright? What happened?"