"That's it? That's why you're making me do this?" I ask in bewilderment.

My dad nods his head in acknowledgement but doesn't say anything else.

"Dad, you can show me. Why do I need an outsider to show me these things? I have you, don't I?" I plead.

We all know this isn't just me asking for his help in the industry.

It's something far more than that.

Shouldn't a daughter have her father to rely upon?

"I have other things I need to take care of. I don't have the time to babysit you and show you the ropes."

My heart breaks at his words.

I had hope, that maybe, just maybe, he'd be there for me. I agree to do everything he wants me to, just so I get his stamp of approval. So I can be looked at the same way he does my sister.

Apparently, I always seem to fail him.

"Benedict Stryker is a very good friend of mine. His son, Damien, is a very respectable young man and is well known in the industry. Damien will show you the ropes and he will be a huge step in the right direction to bringing more fame to us."

Without one last fleeting look, my father sits down and resumes filing certain things away.

I stand there in complete and utter shock.

So this is it?

This can't be.

I go to open my mouth. I have to say something, I need to.

Speak up!

However instead of rattling off into a motivating speech of human rights and self independence, a hand settles onto my shoulder. My shoulders sag in defeat and all I feel like doing is curling up into a ball and crying for a whole entire day. The hand squeezes my shoulder encouragingly and I finally give in.

I can barely even look at my father nor my mother and so I let my sister drag me to wherever she is leading me to. Too consumed in my thoughts and own self belittlement, it takes a while for me to realise I'm standing in front of my own room.

"Come on." Sarah whispers as she pulls me into the room.

However just hearing her voice makes me snap out of the little trance I'm in.

I move passed her and take a seat on the bed, wrapping my arms around myself for comfort.

"You knew?" I whisper so low I barely hear myself.

Sarah comes over to where I'm sitting and kneels down onto the floor beside me.

"I knew." She says.

My eyes snap to meet hers, hazel against green. I can see remorse swirling in them as well as pity and grief. That just makes me more angry. It adds fuel to the fire.

"Why didn't you tell me?" I ask sharply. Sarah leans back, stunned at my tone. "Calm down Serena." She hisses back–equally as sharp– but then composes herself as she takes in a deep breath and shakes her head.