Chapter 23: One Night

Soo Yeon kneeled on the floor as she gracefully made tea for King Tae Jo. Even though she was nervous and excited, she remained calm as she showcased her skills that she have gained through that one year. 

She gently placed the cup on the mini tray and walked over to King Tae Jo. 

"Please enjoy it, Cheon na." Soo Yeon said as she dared not to look at the majestic King in front of her. The hands of the King reaches for the cup and Soo Yeon trailed along to locked eyes with Jo.

"Please forgive me!" Soo Yeon apologised rapidly.

King Tae Jo chuckled as he sipped the tea. "You have surely grown into a palace lady, Soo Yeon ah."

Tears trickled down her face as she longed for the King to call her name again. He gently pulled Soo Yeon towards him and held on to her chin as he lifted her face to look at him. King Tae Jo reaches for Soo Yeon's cheeks and he wiped off the tears gently.

"Don't cry. It will ruin your pretty face." King Tae Jo said with a hurtful look.

"Cheon na...I've missed you so much." Soo Yeon confessed as she controlled her whining. 

"It's okay, you are by my side now." King Tae Jo embraced his lover as he patted the tiny back of Soo Yeon's. 

"Stay with me tonight." 

"Cheon na, I..."

"Shh...It's okay, I will protect you from the people here if they are to say anything about tonight." King Tae Jo assured as he hugged tighter. Finally, Soo Yeon returned the hug and both of them yearned for one another.

//

Soo Yeon adjusted her clothes when she awoke in the King's chamber. She looked around but no one was in the room except for her. There was letter on the desk and she opened up to read, 'I have informed my servants to keep quiet about last night. You may return to Damiwon Palace when you are ready.'

Soo Yeon smiled to herself as she traced her fingers across the paper. She folded the paper and kept it in her pocket near her chest before leaving the King's palace. Soo Yeon slowly opened the door of her room and was relieved when Ri Na was still sleeping soundly in her bed. She prepared her morning washing items and left for the well to wash up. 

That day, the Damiwon ladies were to go out to the mountains to pick fresh herbs for the upcoming tests in a four months time. This year's theme was to create a tea of their own; and bring out their own flavour to describe their personality. Those who were chosen would straight away be promoted to Court Ladies of Damiwon Palace. 

"Ah seriously...why do we have to climb the mountain?!" Yuri complained as she poked the stick on to the soil roughly and supported herself up the stiff road.

"That's because most of the herbs are grown over there. Ya, stop whining and hurry up! It's so tiring for me to climb behind you!" Ri Na poked her stick on to Yuri's legs and she yelped.

"Ah seriously this girl! Ya, stop it!" Yuri shouted.

"What's going on over there? You have an issue?!" Court Lady Sun scolded as she glared at Yuri and Ri Na fiercely. Both of them instantly fell silent due to fear of punishments. 

Soo Yeon chuckled at both of her friends as she shook her head. Finally after about an hour or so, they reached the top of the mountain. It was a magnificent view as the cooling breeze blew their sweats away and calmed their mind. 

"Remember, only pick what you need. Do not harm the nature." Court Lady Han instructed and the ladies went ahead to do their tasks. 

"Soo Yeon ah." Ri Na walked over and leaned in, "Did Queen Yoo asked you to stay over last night?" 

Soo Yeon looked at her weirdly as Ri Na got flustered, "It's nothing! I mean, you didn't came back to your room for a long time so I thought you probably stayed over at Queen Yoo's! Forgive me for being nosy...don't tell the Queen!" Ri Na laughed as she scratched her head awkwardly.

Soo Yeon only chuckled as she went along with her idea. It's not possible to tell Ri Na that she actually slept in the King's chamber right? Who knows what would happen if the Queen finds out!

The ladies all picked the resources that they need and gathered at the meeting area. They took a short rest before heading back to the palace again. 

//

That night after putting Queen Yoo to sleep, Soo Yeon was back in King Tae Jo's chamber. Once again, he ordered all of his servants to stay out of his room while Soo Yeon served him. 

As Soo Yeon was making tea, King Tae Jo stood up from his seat and approached her. He grabbed her wrists to stop what she was doing and pulled her close; causing her to stumbled in to his arms.

"Cheon na!" Soo Yeon gasped in shock when King Tae Jo pushed her to the ground. 

"Why? You belonged to me right?" King Tae Jo simply said as he stared at the beautiful face of Soo Yeon.

"T-that's true but...the servants are outside." Soo Yeon said with a flustered face.

King Tae Jo looked towards the door as he said loudly, "Whoever dared interrupt us would be punish severely by me." 

"Cheon na...A-aren't you getting a little greedy?" Soo Yeon asked nervously.

"Greedy? How am I greedy when I've waited for a year? You have no idea how hard it is for me to restrain myself not going over to Damiwon Palace to look at you because that would bring you trouble. Not when you are not experienced yet." 

The King continued, "Serve me from now on. I will ask Court Lady Kim to find another lady to serve Queen Yoo. Soo Yeon ah, do you know how much you have taken my heart?" 

Soo Yeon stared intensely in to King Tae Jo's eyes as she was slowly drawn in to the words of his. King Tae Jo slowly opened the hanbok of Soo Yeon's and leaned in to her neck. That was when he saw the golden ring necklace that he had given her.

"You still keep the ring with you huh?" He smirked as he touched the ring.

"It is the only thing that gave me security when you're not by my side." Soo Yeon said.

"Do you even know how panic Eunuch Lee was on my wedding day when he couldn't find this ring? This...is the ring the late King told me to give when I have found the girl I love." King Tae Jo revealed and Soo Yeon was happy.

"I love you, Soo Yeon." King Tae Jo kissed the neck of Soo Yeon's as the two lovers professed their love for one another.

"I will make you my Queen." King Tae Jo promised as he stroked Soo Yeon's hair. 

"Cheon na, I don't ask for much as long as I can be by your side." 

"Will you wait until the time comes when I can tell the world you are my wife?" 

A smile formed on Soo Yeon's face as she nodded in agreement to King Tae Jo. The two lovers hugged one another tightly as if they were afraid they would be separated again.