Chapter 1: Eye contact

Author's Note:

Hello, I decided to edit this story because I felt that the starting was not well-written in the previous version. So here it is! Hope you like it :)

//

On the stormy night that the former King of Goryeo has passed away, several footsteps rustled across the grass of the forest as a group of assassins chased after two innocent men. The rain pours heavily; making it hard for them to see the view. 

"Do not let them get away!" The leader's voice rang throughout the dark forest as he ordered his assassins. 

 "Your highness, over here!" One of the man that was being chased after whispered to his highness to hide behind a rock for safety. 

"Why would they want to kill us?" His highness was confused and terrified as he cried to his loyal retainer. 

"I will protect you no matter what, your highness." The man sworn upon his life.

His highness hold on to his retainer's arm tightly as he trusted him to protect him and bring him back to the palace safely once the chase was over. 

"Find them and bring me his highness's head! The crown prince wants him dead!" The leader stops in his place and gave strict orders. However, he did not realised that the man he was looking for was just behind the huge rock he was standing by. 

And his highness overheard everything. 

"H-hyung wants my head? B-but why?" The young man was utterly surprised by what he heard. Though he was very close to his murderers, the sound of the rain drowned out his terrified voice. 

His retainer turned to look at his master as he felt pity for him. He knew that it was not his fault but the greed of the brothers in the royal family to take over the throne now that the former King had passed away. The memory from earlier on where he and the King had a chat flashes back in his mind as he remembered the message the former King had passed on before he died.

He kneeled down on the ground with his head lowered as he have his last chat with the King. The King lies weakly on the bed as he turned to his most trusted man.

"Yong Jun ah...Listen carefully to what I say from now on..." The King started softly.

"Yes your Majesty, I am listening." Yong Jun replies firmly.

"After I pass away...you must do whatever you can to protect our youngest prince, Wang Geon. Do not let any harm have chance to hurt him. Especially the crown prince. Do you understand?" 

Yong Jun looked towards the King and they both shared a meaningful eye contact with one another. 

"Our Wang Geon..." The King suddenly coughed and grab on to his chest as he tried to keep his last breath. 

"Your Majesty!" Yong Jun panicked as he held on to the King's hand, afraid that his master might go any minute now.

"Our Wang Geon...protect him! Do not let...Goryeo fall in to the crown prince's...hand..." The King's hand slid away from Yong Jun's and he was soon gone.

"Your Majesty!!!" The sorrow cries of Yong Jun rang throughout the entire palace as the truth dawned in to him that his master's soul has gone to heaven. 

The sound of footsteps drew closer to Yong Jun and the young prince. Yong Jun could sense that there were about three to four assassins nearby as he focused on a fast plan. 

"Stay here your highness, I will kill them." He said with determination and prepared himself to kill. The young prince embraces himself as he watches his protector go.

Once the shadow of the assassin appears, Yong Jun shot up and tackles. He slashes his sword down on the assassin and the assassin screamed before his body falls to the ground lifelessly. The other comrades all ran over to attack at the sound of the crying. 

Sword clangs rang across the dark forest as Yong Jun slashes one after another. One of the body fall right in front of Prince Tae Jo and he jumped as he stared wide eyed at the lifeless body. The assassin still had his eyes open and was staring back at the poor Prince. 

"A..AHHH!!" Prince Wang Geon shouted out of fear and escaped his hiding spot, seeking attention of the other murderers.

"There you are, your highness! Take him down!" The leader rushes forward and was about to slash his sword down at the Prince but his attack was blocked by Yong Jun swiftly.

"You won't have the chance! Stay behind me Prince Wang Geon!" Yong Jun instructed as he fight with all his might with the leader.

Suddenly, due to Yong Jun's decreasing strength, he loses focus and the leader catches the chance and slashes down on his arm.

"Yong Jun!!" Prince Wang Geon screamed as Yong Jun fell to the ground in agonizing pain. 

"Ha! You shall die today Prince Wang Geon!" The leader sprinted forward to kill Wang Geon.

"Ah!!!" 

The leader yelped as blood splattered from his chest to Prince Wang Geon's face. The shocked Prince couldn't move as he kept his gaze at the sword that has protruded in to the chest. 

"I will protect you, your highness." Yong Jun vowed with his fierce gaze and he pulled the sword out of the murder's chest. The murderer vomited blood out and clasped on to his bleeding chest as his body goes weak to his knees. 

The forest suddenly returned to it's quietness when the killing stopped. Prince Wang Geon and Yong Jun stared at one another in relief while surrounded by all the lifeless bodies.

"You are safe now, Prince Wang Geon." Yong Jun said in confidence but the searing pain from his arm shots up to his brain and he fell on to the floor, gasping for air.

"Yong Jun!" Prince Wang Geon ran to his side immediately to attend to his loyal man. His heart pounded fast again at the thought of losing his man. "Let's get you help..." 

Prince Wang Geon allowed him to lean against his body as he supported the weight with his other hand grasping the waist of Yong Jun's. Together, the two men slowly made their way out of the dangerous zone.

The sun was about to rise when the two men managed to return to town. Lucky for them, the first thing that they saw was a humble house with a sign stating 'Clinic' pasted on the entrance. Prince Wang Geon puts Yong Jun down to lean against the wall as he knocked on the door. 

"Please! We need help!" His desperate cries rang across the roof to the owner of the house.

Hurried footsteps was heard and the door opened in a very cautious momentum. 

"Who could it be so early in the morning?" The owner of the house was a man around his forties and his eyes grew wide when he saw the state of the stranger outside his door.

"My friend here has injured himself, please help us!" Wang Geon pleaded as he gestured his hand to the injured Yong Jun.

"Aigoo! Quickly, bring him in!" The surprised owner went out to give a helping hand as they both supported Yong Jun in.

"Soo Yeon ah! Soo Yeon,  we need help here!" The man cried out to a lady's name as they walked in to the front yard.

A very young and pretty lady, ageing about fifteen rushes out from somewhere and she gasped at the horrendous sight of the patients.

"Father, what happened to them?!" Soo Yeon asked in a panicked tone as she quickly brought out two mattresses for the patients to lie down on. 

"Get me a bowl of hot water and medical supplies!" Her father instructed in a strict tone and Soo Yeon races to the kitchen.

She was swiftly back in the room as she passes the squeezed cloth to her father. Her father gently dabbed the warm cloth to wipe off the blood of the injured man. In the midst of treatment, Soo Yeon can't help but made eye contact towards the young man sitting opposite her. 

She examined the tired and dirty face of the man and can't help but wonder what happened to the both of them.