Chapter 9: The King's face

Back in Soo Yeon's house

"Soo Yeon ah~" A cheery voice called as the person entered the front yard. Soo Yeon was busy pounding herbs in the kitchen and couldn't seem to hear the voice calling her name.

"Is she in the kitchen as usual?" The person walked over to the kitchen without any difficulties, as if the structure of the house was long imprinted in the head. "Ya Soo Yeon!" 

Soo Yeon stopped what she was doing as she got shocked by the voice and turned to see her best friend whom she had not seen for four months. "Sunny?" She called in disbelief and rushes over to hug her best friend.

"Sunny ah, you're back! I miss you so much! How was your trip to your aunt's?" 

Sunny returned the tight hug joyfully as she updates, "I miss you too! The trip was great, even better than what I've expected. And look!" They parted from one another and Sunny lifted up her hands and showed the golden ring on her fourth finger.

"Y-you...ya what happened there?! I'm so happy for you!" The two girls jumped on the spot excitedly. 

"My aunt's friend had a son, and just nice he came back to his hometown and we sort of clicked...We dated for a month and he asked me to marry him!" Sunny cried happily.

"Oh my god Sunny! What's his name? Did he come back with you?" Soo Yeon looked behind her trying to search for her fiancee. 

"Sadly no...he had something to settle with back in his hometown so I came back first to share the good news with you! Are you free now? Let's go to the tea house and have some desserts!" Sunny suggested but Soo Yeon turned to the mortar on the floor as she thought whether to abandon her job and go have fun. 

Father probably would get angry though if I leave things be...

"Aigoo just call that guy you hired to do it! Don't you want to spend the time with me?" Sunny acted cute as she twisted her body side to side. 

"Alright alright! Wait for me at the entrance while I call for Young Shin." Soo Yeon surrendered to her cuteness. Was that how she managed to flirt her fiancee? 

//

The two teenagers giggled all the way to town as Sunny shared her dating stories with Soo Yeon. 

"And then he suddenly fix his gaze at me, and leaned in and then...and then..." Sunny exaggerated and they both shrieked with excitement.

"And then what? Hurry, spill it out!" Soo Yeon rushed her as she grab on to Sunny's sleeves. 

"He kissed me!" Sunny exposed.

"AHHHHH!" They both screamed and hid their faces with their sleeves.

"Ya quieten down you bitches! I'm trying to sleep here!" A homeless man lying down on the floor shouted at them, spoiling their mood as he turned the other side to face the wall.

"Aish...Seriously?" Sunny rolled her eyes angrily but Soo Yeon comforted her by telling her that they should hurry to the tea house or there might be no seats left. 

With Sunny's charm, they managed to get the seat at the second level, which was awesome because they would be able to see the view of town from there. The desserts and tea came shortly and the girls indulges themselves on a girl's day out. 

"The King is getting married! I repeat, the King is getting married!" A citizen shouted as he ran all over the town to announce the recent news.

"What? Again?" The customer beside Sunny and Soo Yeon's table questioned and his friend answered, "Yes. It seemed that the bride is one of the top minister's daughter."

"How do you know?" Curious by her nature, Sunny joined in to the conversation of the two man and Soo Yeon lowered her head in embarrassment.

The men was astounded by her bold actions and puffed out their chest proudly as one of them replied, "Well...I have a friend who works in the palace. He told me about the news."

"Really? You have a friend in the palace?" She questioned. 

The man laughed with pride as he said, "Yes! My friend is one of the top scholars in the palace. Say...maybe you would like to hang out some time and I could ask my friend to sneak us in to the palace?" He suggested with a sly facial expression. 

To that, Sunny simply showed off her ring as she apologised, "I'm engaged."

"Well...how about you then?" The man turned towards Soo Yeon and she did not know how to react.

"U-um...I..." She stuttered as it was all too fast. The man continued to stare at Soo Yeon as he waited for her answer but Sunny stepped in to break the conversation. "She have a boyfriend too already." 

Both men immediately lost interest as they commented, "Why don't you say so?". They stood up from their table and called for the bill as they left their seat.

Sunny rolled her eyes as she said, "Dumb and dumber...if they think they can win a girl's heart with status then they are wrong!" However, Soo Yeon only shrugged as she drank her tea. 

//

The day of wedding

King Tae Jo usually rode on a horse while his royal servants accompanied him to Lady Soon Sung's house. The musical band played instruments to make the mood more festive, and the citizens nearby danced and clapped along to the music. Throughout the journey, King Tae Jo was emotionless even when the citizens cheered for him.

Upon reaching Lady Soon Sung's house, the Girukabi gave the wooden wild goose to King Tae Jo. He accepted it and places it on a small table. King Tae Jo bowed twice to his future mother-in-law, and she took the wild goose into the house. He then proceeded to bring Lady Soon Sung back to the palace.

Soo Yeon and Sunny had agreed to meet near the palace entrance so that they could witness the wedding ceremony. Just nice, the King and Queen had made their rounds and were coming back to the palace. All the citizens were excited to see the couple. 

However, Soo Yeon was stunned as she saw Jo sitting on top of the horse wearing the groom costume. She couldn't believe her eyes as she kept staring with her mouth wide open. 

J-Jo is the K-King?

King Tae Jo's emotionless face turned into a shock as he had eye contact with Soo Yeon who was among the crowd of citizens. He never thought that his secret of being a King would be discovered that quickly and he didn't know how to react. It was as if time had stopped when the two people looked in to one another's eyes. The girl feeling bewilderment, and the guy feeling guilty that he had lied. 

"Ya Soo Yeon, what are you doing? Hurry bow down to the King and Queen!" Sunny pulled the hem of Soo Yeon's hanbok while bowing down.

Soo Yeon's tears threatened to fall as she couldn't believe the man she love was someone she could never be with. She had no choice but to reluctantly bow down as the guards standing by was pointing at her.