Chapter 44

Tonk's POV:

I watched as Thorfinn shot a stunning spell at one of his own Death Eaters, and then one at Kat. I can't figure out what he's playing at, but as he shoots her with another one, I watch him deflect a killing curse from her. I watch as Neville catches her in his arms, as he was the closest one to her, while the rest of the Death Eaters make a run for it.

Remus started to go after them, and though I wanted to follow him to make sure he was safe, I stayed behind to help the others. Professor McGonagall orders us all to go to the hospital wing, conjuring a stretcher for Bill. I rush over to Neville and help him get Kat up to the hospital wing. Blimey, I bet she didn't want to end up in here again anytime soon.

I see Madame Pomfrey heal Neville in a matter of seconds, sending him into a dreamless sleep as she does. Next is a quick check over of Ginny and Luna. She comes to look at Kat before she wakes her up, leaving a cup of blood on the nightstand next to her. I see McGonagall send a patronous message to Molly and Arthur, as I look at Kat.

Her eyes are fluttering open and I hear her hiss a bit as she sits up suddenly. She looks around the room at a vampiric speed and she seems to get a worried look in her silver eyes. I watch out of the corner of my eye as Ginny leaves the room suddenly with the same look on her face.

"Katherine?" (T)

"Tonks....where's Harry?" (K)

"Ginny'll find him Kat. Don't worry." (T)

I watch as she gives an absent nod, taking the cup of blood without complaint or question as I hand it her. She drinks it before standing up from the bed, and walking over to where Bill is being taken care of by Madam Pomfrey. I spot Remus standing at the foot of the bed, and I'm relieved that he's alright. I hear the doors open and Ginny and Harry come walking back in. I tear my eyes away from Remus and look at them. I listen with the others as we learn that Dumbledore is dead.

I see silent tears streaming down almost everyone's faces, and as we hear the phoenix begin to sing, they only seem to increase. I wrap my arms around myself as we all listen to the mournful song of the phoenix. I hear someone ask what happened and listen to the man I love start to explain, and I can't help but add to it as he does.

"Well, the big Death Eater had just fired off a hex that caused half the ceiling to fall in, and also broke the curse blocking the stairs. We all ran forward-those of us who were still standing anyway-and then Snape and the boy emerged out of the dust-obviously, none of us attacked them-" (Remus)

"We just left them pass. We thought they were being chased by the Death Eaters-and next thing, the other Death Eaters and Greyback were back and we were fighting again-I thought I heard Snape shout something, but I don't know what-" (T)

"He shouted, 'It's over,' he'd done what he'd meant to do." (H)

I feel Kat squeeze my shoulder a bit as I look down at the floor, wondering if things could have turned out differently had I reacted differently. I feel tears grow in my eyes as the phoenix's song seems to match how I'm feeling now, how I've been feeling most of the year. I look at Remus and see him staring at Bill, but not really looking at Bill, and I wish he had his arms around me for comfort.

Kat's POV:

"That big Death Eater as you called him was Thorfinn, the one that I was seeing while I was Verity." (K)

"Is he always so sporadic when firing spells?" (Remus)

"No, in fact until tonight I'd never seen him miss. I can only imagine after all the aid he's given me before that his feelings for me were true." (K)