Chapter 40

Kat's POV:

I look at the man standing in front of me, staring out the window of Dumbledore's office, with his eyes not really seeing anything. The last hour has been spent with Severus, Dumbledore, and myself talking of what will come to pass in the next few weeks. Severus will be the one to kill Dumbledore, not Malfoy. Malfoy, though an idiotic git at times, isn't guilty of true evil yet. Even I saw that while he was at his home during the holidays. He could barely stay in the room as they tortured me, while the other Death Eaters only laughed.

I can only be glad that Dumbledore knew to spare Malfoy having to take a life, and living with that on his conscious for the rest of his life. But what I can also see is that Severus isn't pleased with the plan. We were both informed of the fact that when the time was right, when the rest of the horcruxes had been found and destroyed by Harry, that Harry would have to die. Not only would he have to die, but Voldemort would have to be the one to kill him.

I had kept silent through the entire discussion, unsure how I was meant to be feeling. I was shocked that Harry would in fact have to die, and angry that life had been thus unfair for him. Ginny and him had just started dated with Ron's surprising blessing, and now his entire life is about to collapse again, his life itself is about to end. Dumbledore had left us both alone for a few minutes as we processed this information, in a thick silence that coated the room.

While I sat in the chair by the fireplace, feeling numb with the numerous emotions building in me, Severus seemed to finally break out from his stoic shell of expression and feeling. The man I was looking at was not the same man I had met in Potions class three years ago. He was not the cold, unfeeling potions master. This man was a broken, aged, sorrowful, and regretful man with a pain so great in his dark eyes it made my own soul weep for him.

"You really don't want to do this anymore do you?" (K)

"I would have thought that was made quite clear in my earlier sentiments." (S)

"Forgive me Severus, I....I cannot imagine what you must be feeling." (K)

"It is no fault of your own. I will have a plan for your staying here at Hogwarts. No doubt the Dark Lord will place me as Headmaster in the next year. Your place here may not be pleasant though, so if you should desire to stay away from Hogwarts, I will ensure to that as well." (S)

"Thank you Severus. I will let you know." (K)

"Good evening Katherine." (S)

I watch as the sneer on his face returns as he turns and leaves the office just as Dumbledore walks back in. I see him stop and look at Dumbledore before he continues on his way to his classroom, his black robes swirling behind him as he passes. I turn away from Dumbledore and stare back into the flames of the fire, thinking about my options for next year.

I have no doubt that at the end of the summer, the trio will not be returning to Hogwarts. Snape will do everything he can to ensure that the students at Hogwarts are safe, but I doubt even he will be able to protect everyone here. Do I stay here at Hogwarts and help protect them? Or should I stay away, hidden away with George? I feel a sigh come from my lips as I slowly turn back to Dumbledore.

I see him sitting at his desk, looking so much older than the first time I met him just a few years ago. I realize that the younger generations are not the only ones being aged by this war, as he looks to be feeling it as well. I take the seat across from him as he looks up at me with a soft smile.

"Well my dear. I believe that you have some very important decisions to make, yet again. You must forgive me for ever putting you in this position. I forgot that you were only 17 when I gave you your first mission, and now you're almost 19, still a child really." (D)

"I would have done it anyway if I thought it would protect George, and was necessary. You know that Professor." (K)

"Perhaps, though it was no excuse on my part. For now my child, I must be going after another memory tonight. I trust you can help keep an eye on the school." (D)

"Of course Professor." (K)

I see him offer me a slim smile and I return the gesture before leaving his office. I walk around the corridors for a bit, thinking of George's plan to come visit me in Hogsmeade again this weekend. He visited the weekend after Ron and Harry, who was there thanks to a Quidditch accident, were let out of the hospital. But since then we've only written letters to each other.

In all honesty though, we're closer this year than last and we're only writing letters. So surely that means something, for us anyway.

I hear footsteps walking towards me in the dim-lit hall, wondering which student is brave enough to try and break curfew at this hour. I sniff the air only to come across a scent I recognize, despite it being drowned in sadness. Though the scent is one that I recognize almost instantly, the figure before me shocks me with her broken, worn looking expression that she's wearing on her face.

"Tonks?" (K)

"Kat? I wondered how you were, happy to see you're recovering well." (T)

"It's good to see you again Tonks, and yes I'm recovering fairly well." (K)

"Any news from any of the Order members?" (T)

"I haven't heard from him Tonks, but he's underground with the other werewolves. He'll be fine, I promise." (K)

I watch as her thinner form seems to shake a bit before she turns away from me. Her hair isn't her usual bright, pink color, but the same mousy brown it was the last time I saw her. I walk up behind her and place my hand on her shoulder, watching her closely as she turns to face me. I take a deeper look into her eyes before she throws her defenses up to keep me out of her mind. I wasn't trying to read it though, I don't have to in order to see and understand the pain she's experiencing right now. I know that pain, in fact I felt it all last year, and it kills me to see it mirrored perfectly in her eyes.

"You said that about yourself before your mission started too." (T)

"And I'm perfectly fine now, aren't I?" (K)

I see her give me a disbelieving look before she turns away, wiping the tears that had been forming out of her eyes. She gives an excuse to leave and as I watch her walk back down the corridor, I smell her heartbreak and I know it's just as great as mine was last term. Remus better hope I don't see him soon, or as Fred would say I'm going to kick his arse the stupid git.