Chapter 18

Kat's POV:

"Kat are you sure you won't come with me and Donovan for Christmas? His parents would love to meet you." (S)

I smile at Scar's continuing questioning of whether or not I'll join her and Don for Christmas at his parent's house. I suspect she will be at her parents for New Year's, and since I'm not really allowed to go home for safety reasons, she keeps asking about Christmas. She's asked three times in the last five minutes and I've all but given up on taking a quick nap on the couch I'm lounging on right now.

"No, for the last time I can't leave my post like that. Plus, Mrs. Weasley has already told me that if I don't come to the Burrow for Christmas dinner she will never forgive me." (K)

"And that's all it took for you to accept? It wasn't the prospect of seeing him face to face, well as yourself I mean." (S)

"Maybe. I don't know. I feel as if I'm waiting on a letter from him that may never come." (K)

"What about the Death Eater?" (S)

I feel my blood chill a bit as she asks about that. I told her what was going on after the first......outing with Throfinn. She was less than pleased with my decision to keep up the pretense that Verity has feelings for him. She may still be furious with George, but I think she'd rather I be with him and be safe and truly happy. Then be faking a relationship with a Death Eater for information for the Order, and be truly miserable.

"Thorfinn? I had a drink with him at Death Pub a few days ago. He's off somewhere in south England now, doing more or less the same thing he was doing in the north a few weeks ago." (K)

"You will be safe won't you?" (S)

"Aren't I always?" (K)

"Yeah sure, almost as safe as Potter is." (S)

I laugh a bit at that and after she gives me a soft glare she joins in. She pushes her last suitcase into the fireplace before sending it to Donovan's parents house. I stand up from the couch as she turns toward me a bit slower than she usually does, with a small smile on her face. She walks back to me and hugs me with such a fierceness I'm beginning to wonder what else she's been hiding from me.

"I have some news, good news, but it'll have to wait until after Christmas. Consider it an early birthday gift when I get back." (S)

"I hate surprises Scar, but since it's you I'll let it slide. Have a Merry Christmas." (K)

"You too Kat. Owl me if you get bored or need help and I'll come as fast as I can." (S)

I nod as we part from the hug and I watch as her grin gets bigger before stepping into the flames and flooing to Donovan's waiting arms, I have no doubt. I can't help the sudden smirk that appears on my face though as I think about the 'surprise' that she has for me. I have a feeling it's the fact that her and Donovan are secretly married already.

I've heard their whispers about telling me for the past few days, and I can't help but be happy for them both. She's been worried about how I would take it since she didn't tell me. I don't mind too much though, I know Scar well enough to know it was done at a courthouse rather than at big fancy wedding. However, I also know that I will personally give her grief for a few days about not telling me when they got married.

Though I also think that they have something else to tell me, though I won't bother guessing what it is right now. I'd probably be wrong anyway. I feel a purring against my legs and pick up Moonlight before heading upstairs to pack a simple bag to take to the Burrow. I'm not sure how I'll feel seeing him as myself, instead of Verity, but I suppose we'll just have to wait and see.