Chapter 43

I was with Elijah for the rest of the day. Elijah and I were in the woods, waiting for Rebekah to arrive with Niklaus's body.

She shows up in tears, "He's gone, you guys. There was nothing I could do to stop it."

I felt as if a truck ran over my heart, crushing it into tiny pieces. As the siblings embraced, I fell to the floor and burst into tears. A hand touched my shoulder. I look up and see Kol.

Kol lifts me up into his arms. I sob into his chest and I felt his tears on my hair.

"Tyler Lockwood is dead, but the rest survived. You said that Niklaus turned their bloodline," Elijah says as they pull away.

Kol kept his arms around my waist but pulled away to look at his siblings.

"I thought he did," Rebekah frowned further.

Elijah uttered, "It wasn't me."

"Nor was it I," Kol said with a shake of his head.

"It wasn't me, Elijah. It was Niklaus, I'm sure of it," Rebekah furrowed her eyebrows.

Elijah seethed, "Then how are they still alive?"

Elijah called Elena and spoke to her. After they hung up, Rebekah spoke.

"I am calling Stefan," Rebekah pulled out her phone. She began walking away before turning back to me, "Come with me, Lex."

I nodded and pulled away from Kol. I kissed his lips before I followed her deeper into the woods.

As Stefan answers the phone, "Hello?"

"You're alive. Congratulations," Rebekah growls into the phone.

"Rebekah," Stefan states with a sigh.

Before he could continue, Rebekah spoke, "Elijah spoke to Elena. Her and Matt should be arriving back in town any minute."

"Yeah, he told me that. He also said you two would be long gone out of town by now," Stefan responded, warning in his voice.

"That's the problem. Elijah says we have to run, that the hunter will keep coming after us, but I don't want to run anymore, Stefan. I spent my whole life running," Rebekah said, more tears forming in her eyes.

Stefan's voice was full of alert, "What are you talking about? We had a deal."

"I'm sorry, but Nik is dead. There is no deal. If my brothers and I are going to survive, we need to get rid of Alaric and the only way to get rid of Alaric..." She trailed, off allowing Stefan to respond.

"Rebekah, no," Was all I heard before the line cut off.

Rebekah and I were still walking through the woods until we found a road near Wickery Bridge. She walked into the middle of the road and stopped.

"What are you doing?" I asked, raising an eyebrow at her.

"We have lost Nik. It is only fair if they lose someone," Rebekah said as I joined her side.

She pointed ahead, "Recognize that truck?"

"That's Matt's," I stated, my heart leaping forward.

I dived to the side of the road. I vigorously turned back to the road. Rebekah had not moved a single muscle.

I used my enhanced hearing to hear Elena shout, "Matt, look out!"

Matt swerves the car to avoid hitting Rebekah. The truck flies through the air, over the guardrail and into the water.

I ran over and watched as the truck sunk deep into the water. I was about to dive into the water before Rebekah jerked me back.

"Let them drown," Rebekah cried out. "They killed Niklaus."

"No. Alaric killed him. They protected themselves just as any of us would," I challenged her before turning back to the waters.

"What is going on with you? Why are taking their side," Rebekah asked, a tear rolling down her cheek.

I sighed and ran my fingers through my hair, "It was Alaric who killed him! Not Matt and Elena. They allowed us to retrieve Nikki's body!"

"Stefan," Rebekah breathed out before she could respond to me.

I turned around and saw Stefan watching us.

"Go!" I shouted at him before I felt my neck snap and everything went black.

I opened my eyes and sat up. I groaned and rubbed my neck before getting out of bed. I was in Kol's room but Kol was nowhere to be seen. Dressed in a torn up grey crop top, green camo jacket, and black leggings I found in my stash of clothes in Kol's room, I went downstairs.

"Thanks for snapping my neck," I said as I found Rebekah.

"You were being stubborn," Rebekah said with a sigh, not turning to face me.

I shrugged my shoulders, "When am I not?"

"True," Rebekah said, looking at me with a smile over her shoulder.

Her eyes were red from tears. I went over to her and gave her a hug which we both desperately needed.

When we pulled away, she picked up a drawing of Niklaus's, "I still cannot believe he is gone."

She throws the picture down and knocks the others off the table. I bend down and pick one up. It was a sketch of Kol and I. This brought a smile on my face.

"You should know better than to sneak up on ladies of mourning," Rebekah said, taking me out of my daze.

I turned around to see Damon who said, "Good advice. Have you seen any?"

Rebekah bites back at him as she faces him, "Tragic about Elena. Not to make a grey cloud greyer, but does Matt even have automobile insurance?"

She turns back around and I fold the drawing I was still holding. I put it in the pocket of my jacket.

Damon rushes at Rebekah with the white oak stake. She whips back at him and holds his wrist to prevent him from staking her.

I kick his leg and hear it snap. Rebekah pushes him into a dresser which makes him drop the stake. Swiftly, I grabbed the stake and stabbed him in the thigh.

Suddenly, wooden bullets were fired into Rebekah. She lets go of Damon who falls to the ground.

"Rebekah!" I shout, turning to her with widened eyes.

A wooden arrow was shot into her heart. Not long after, another is shot at me, barely missing my heart. The arrows burned, most likely soaked in vervain. More arrows were shot and next thing I know, I am on the floor and everything goes black... again.

Hi everyone! So, for me, it is spring break! Yay! This means that I will try and update more this week that I am off. I already have chapters pre written. Hope you have a lovely Easter!